Best Type Of Icing For Carved Cake

Decorating By hobbist Updated 12 Oct 2014 , 9:32pm by daisybee

hobbist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbist Posted 26 Jul 2014 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make a cake in  the shape of a house.   What is the best type of icing for stability?  I prefer SMBC on my cakes, but i don't know if it is stable enough.  House will be about 12 in by 10 in long and about 12 to 14 in high.   I have a lot of experience in gingerbread houses but cake is a new canvas for me.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2014 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 6

if kept cold smbc is firmer than abc -- so it all depends on how you do things

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 26 Jul 2014 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 6

AI agree with k8 :) SMBC all the way! Glides on smoothly (less crumbs)! Taste great too!

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 26 Jul 2014 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 6

AI'm not sure if you're planning to cover the cake in fondant, but if you are, I would use ganache under the fondant. It's very strong and very stable.

I've done a house cake that was 9" long by 4" deep and 9" high and had to drive it 5km to deliver it, and it did not move at all (and it was on top of a sheet cake - but yes, there were lots of dowels involved!)

Also done the cat in the hat - that was about 60" high and only 6" wide, also had to deliver that 6km (with speed bumps on the road, thought I would have a heart attack!) and he was just fine.

Ganache is your friend.....

hobbist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbist Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 11:35am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your help.  I will use the smbc and keep cake chilled.   I plan to use dowels and cake boards every 4 inches or so.

daisybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisybee Posted 12 Oct 2014 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 6

AHi hobbist,

Can you tell me how was thé delivery for this cake. Did everything was ok with the smbc?

I must make a louis vuitton cake and a bellagio hotel cake, both very tall and i still hesitate between smbc and ganache

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%