Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake Modifications?

Baking By agildart Updated 29 Jul 2014 , 1:37pm by Kathy107

agildart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agildart Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 11:54am
post #1 of 8

Hi all, I've made the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake before and it was well received and I thought it was good, but not spectacular.  

In addition to using a better quality cocoa (I'm thinking of trying Ghiardelli), I know there is a modification where you sub sour cream for the milk.  But I also read something about changing the quantity of the leveners?  Does anyone know anything about that?

I'm making 2 -10inch rounds, I'm also wondering if I should make 1.5 times the recipe or if the single recipe should be ok, even though it lists 8 or 9 inch pans?

7 replies
MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 8

AA 10 inch round is almost double the volume of a 8 inch round.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 8

i would just look for a recipe with sour cream unless you want to do testing --

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 8

ASpc's posted modification that ran around here a couple years ago was indeed the sour cream instead of milk and 1t for baking powder/soda. I also go a tad heavy on the flour measurement. Edited to add: epi's double layer chocolate cake is very similar, but is written out for 2-10" pans

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 8

Actually Hershey's is great cocoa to use.  I prefer it over Ghirardelli and it consistently rates really high in America's Test Kitchen.  Yes if you do a search for scp1127 and Hershey you'll find her mods for the cake.  The Epicurious cake is a FANTASTIC recipe.  I used it for one of my wedding tiers and it was totally demolished.

agildart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agildart Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 8

I have another week to experiment, now that he pushed back his party.  I think I'll make a few small samples to try out...that Epicurious one keeps getting mentioned, I'm definitely going to try it.  It will be with a raspberry filling, so I think a nice rich chocolate is what I'm looking for.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 8

Hershey's will be similar to a boxed cake mix in texture.  Epicurious and the other one will be more fudgey.

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 8

I made the Hershey's cake with scp1127's modification of sour cream and levener.  It was delicious.  I liked it better than when I made it with milk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%