Round Cake When It Should Have Been Square. Partial Refund?

Baking By klan30 Updated 26 Jul 2014 , 11:18pm by Lfredden

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 12:37am
post #1 of 10

I recently received an order for a 6" anniversary cake.  The Client wanted me to replicate the top tier of their wedding cake which I had done a year ago.  Today after finishing the cake to my horror I realized it should have been done as a square and I had done a round.  I charged $75.  Wondering what everyones thoughts are on making up for my mistake.

9 replies
FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 12:51am
post #2 of 10

Sorry that this happened, but I'd do a full refund since it was supposed to be a replicate.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 11:35am
post #3 of 10

Did she already get the cake? Any time to make a new one?

If she already has it, a full refund would be in order. It won't be a replicate, and she is also getting less portions in a round than a square...

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 10

Agree. Sorry, but the customer should get a full refund.

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 10

I would talk to the client and see how she reacts.  She might not think it's a big deal.  She may not even notice the difference.  Judging by the size of the cake, it won't be served at a party maybe just an anniversary dinner for two.  I just think you should get something for the time and expense invested.  If it's a big deal offer her a free cake and call it an anniversary gift.  If it's a bit  of a big deal, offer a partial refund.  If it's no big deal, charge full price.

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 10

The client didn't think it was a big deal but I ended up refunding her money, which she accepted without hesitation.  Lesson learned!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klan30 

The client didn't think it was a big deal but I ended up refunding her money, which she accepted without hesitation.  Lesson learned!

Good for you, klan30! The customer placed an order and the finished product was not correct. I find it unprofessional to save a few bucks (as someone suggested) and ask the customer if s/he is willing to take it. Customer service goes a long way if we want a long-term relationship with happy customers.

I'm not sure why this thread is in the Cupcake forum since it's a business question. Business members often have different answers from the home or hobby bakers.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfredden 

I would talk to the client and see how she reacts.  She might not think it's a big deal.  She may not even notice the difference.  Judging by the size of the cake, it won't be served at a party maybe just an anniversary dinner for two.  I just think you should get something for the time and expense invested.  If it's a big deal offer her a free cake and call it an anniversary gift.  If it's a bit  of a big deal, offer a partial refund.  If it's no big deal, charge full price.

This is terrible advice. Not every client is confrontational. She may take the cake, be upset and 1) never return or worse 2) tell her friends that the bakery is incompetent. You should always put yourself in the clients shoes, they are paying for the decoration and the feeling that comes with a cake, not disappointment. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by klan30 

You'll sleep better at night knowing that the customer was satisfied with the outcome!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 10

fwiw -- lfredden's advice about talking to her first is what i would have done -- i would have been ready to make amends if it was a big deal to her -- i doubt i coulda coughed the whole $75 though -- some people are just not that ticky -- some clients would not even notice till you mention it -- op's work had to be good because the customer was coming back for the cake and i mean doing a round instead of a square is an easy mistake -- i''ve made ten times more round wedding cakes than all the other shapes put together --

misspelling someones name on an inscription is also an easy mistake -- some people take it in stride some people rage or literally cry even though it is fixed and resolved way before the party starts --

i can't see giving your work away before you try & negotiate in good faith -- maybe the client could have waited a half day and she could have made her the beloved square one -- i'd definitely talk first -- 

i'd sleep better with that dang seventy five bucks under my pillow

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 26 Jul 2014 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 10

AI'm a hobbyist and don't sell cakes so I'm speaking from a customers point of view. I personally would not think its a big deal. I also know that people struggle to make a buck and that's why I support local businesses. It would bother me to take advantage of someone and letting them do all that hard work for free. I would not have accepted the refund. Obviously the client didn't think that way, but I can't believe that I'm the only one that does. Round vs square? Not a big deal in my book. There are a lot more important and serious matters going on in the world to let that ruin my day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%