Freezing A Sponge For An "open" Wedding Cake?

Decorating By cookiesmum Updated 24 Jul 2014 , 10:34pm by doramoreno62

cookiesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesmum Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 10

Hi ALL :)

I am a serial lurker and this is my first post

I have made cakes for a while and I normally crumb coat and then use fondant... I have never frozen sponge before.., 

anyway I am going to be making my own wedding cake and as I am a bit sick of icing I want to make a simple sponge cake and then put it together day of with Dream topping buttercream. that being said I dont really want to make and then bake the cake on the day of as well it will be my wedding day haha 

My questions are

- will freezing the sponge affect the integrity of the sponge itself?

-will I need dowels for a cake (like the one pictured?)

-how long does the sponge need to defrost before I can put it all together

Making my own cake to cut costs xx

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 10

if you have never made a cake like this and from your questions i gather that to be true -- i would not recommend doing it day of your wedding -- i would not recommend a ticky cake like this that might get stale around the exposed edges if not handled properly --

while i totally understand diy and save money --this design and doing it day of by the bride is not the way to go --

how many servings?

cookiesmum Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 10

ABump

cookiesmum Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 10

AIts only a small wedding party of 70 (day, cocktail hour and reception) I wouldn't make a four tier (I was thinking 2/3 maybe) and with not as much fruit as the one above.

I love this design and it fits with my theme...

Xx

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 10

i made my own cake but it was completed in advance and i had someone else deliver it and set it up --

and i have done many family cakes where i'm just spent afterwards -- just have enough energy and brain left to smile at the appropriate times when in conversation -- i hope -- and not fall asleep anywhere-- pretty sure i didn't :-D

can you make one in advance to test this out and do the whole thing-- pack it up in the car and fake 'deliver' it somewhere and set it up -- you don't want to do this last minute as your first tier cake --

i love the design too

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 10

and what is dream topping buttercream? does it have to be refrigerated?

cookiesmum Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 10

A:) yep I am planning on doing a test run in 2 weeks - to venue (the wedding is in january though) I also want to test for staleness as to be honest it is a bit of a worry. Dream topping is kind of hard to desc ribe but it can be used as a thickener - yes it would have to be refrigerated but that's okay as venue has a giant cooler and cool room. Xx

cookiesmum Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 10

AWe are having a bit of a heatwave in the UK at the moment (that i didnt think about) so i might have to do a second test when it gets cooler too undecided x the link is for dream topping x I always use it in my buttercream as the taste is just awesome!! [URL=http://www.birdscustard.co.uk]http://www.birdscustard.co.uk[/URL]

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 10

it would need to be wrapped well with plastic wrap so that the fridge does not accelerate the drying out of the cake -- so you need to fridge it for the filling but the fridge works against you 'cause there's no icing to protect the cake from the drying effects of the fridge --

and in your test see what happens if you fill the day before --do a small part of it the day before so you can determine it's longevity -- oh another test for you -- fill a cake and freeze it and put it in the fridge overnight and see how it does --

getting the fruit in january won't be a problem will it? we can get most all the fruits year 'round here -- maybe you can buy some times this way -- where all you have to do it stack and arrange the fruit --

yes (of course!) you need dowel -- but honestly in the long run you will probably break even money wise if you just order the cake from somewhere --- idk -- i like diy though

how clean and how much room does the venue's fridge have? who knows right? so i would deliver day of if possible -- if you're making it day of you won't need their fridge will you? 

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 10

You should brush the sponges with a gelatin glaze to preserve the moisture. It leaves no taste and leaves a faint sheen on the cake. Also dries quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%