Smores Cake

Baking By sykescakes Updated 14 Aug 2014 , 9:54pm by cor39

sykescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sykescakes Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 15

So I have seen a few different threads on here pertaining to s'mores cake but I was thinking about taking a different approach and wanted some feed back. I was thinking a chocolate cake, then in-between the cake layers I would do a layer of marshmallow filling, layer of whole gram crackers then a layer of chocolate ganache. I was going to make a SMB using brown sugar and a few pinches of cinnamon to play off the gram cracker flavors. So my hope is that if I make the cake tonight and then let it sit in the fridge over night, the gram crackers will become soft and meld well with the cake.....any thoughts or tips?  

14 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 15

Yes, the graham crackers will soften with the moisture of the ganache and marshmallow.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 15

Your idea sounds delicious! I agree with Annie, the graham crackers should soften enough for cutting the cake. (After a few days the crackers may be much softer - a telltale sign of an older cake.) 

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 15

I would also like to know how it turns out.  I made a s'more cake but since it was also a sand castle, the graham cracker crumbs were the sand.  I liked having the crunch, but I would like to know how softened crackers turn out.  The addition of the ganache sounds delicious.  I just used chocolate bc.

JerryLINY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JerryLINY Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 15

http://heatherchristo.com/cooks/2011/03/01/smores-cake/

I printed this recipe over a year ago but still haven't made it- just waiting for that "special" occasion but it looks SO good.  I like the idea of the graham cracker crust under the cake layers.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 15

AI put crushed cookies into buttercream all the time and it always turns out great. I leave the pieces larger and they still have some texture but they are very soft after being in the buttercream.

sykescakes Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 11:30am
post #7 of 15

I made the cake last night and it's in the fridge now. JerryLINY I also saw that recipe and want to try that, it looks really yummy. But since it was my first time making it and I will be entering it into a bake-off this afternoon I decided to just go with the layer of whole gram crackers. I baked the cake in a half sheet pan (13" x 18" ) and then cut that into four even pieces and stacked them up. It ended up being very tall but I thought a rectangle cake would be easier to cut into even piece for all the judges then a round cake. Wish me luck! I'll let you all know how it goes :D

JerryLINY Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 15

GOOD LUCK!  Maybe you can post a pic?

sykescakes Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 12:36am
post #9 of 15

AI got first place!

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 1:00am
post #11 of 15

ALooks yummy! Congratulations!

:grin:

JerryLINY Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 15

Congratulations, looks delicious!

freesia777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freesia777 Posted 28 Jul 2014 , 4:03am
post #13 of 15

A

Original message sent by JerryLINY

[URL=http://heatherchristo.com/cooks/2011/03/01/smores-cake/]http://heatherchristo.com/cooks/2011/03/01/smores-cake/[/URL]

I printed this recipe over a year ago but still haven't made it- just waiting for that "special" occasion but it looks SO good.  I like the idea of the graham cracker crust under the cake layers.

Slight hijack of the thread.

I made this cake yesterday (no special occasion other than "Oh my gosh that looks delicious and I must make this NOW!") and it is in fact just as good as it looks. You get a real graham cracker flavor because of the crusts in between the cake layers. My ganache never set up even after going in the fridge - I used a combo of milk and semi-sweet chocolate instead of dark and did not adjust the amount of cream. It stayed a glaze consistency only, so I just HAD to frost the whole cake in marshmallow instead... I highly recommend it.

OP, your cake looks great-- congratulations!!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 28 Jul 2014 , 6:21am
post #14 of 15

Congratulations on your 1st prize!!!!   Now you have a bunch of folks all over the USA drooling over that photo of the winning cake.

cor39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cor39 Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 9:54pm
post #15 of 15

Sounds yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%