Trees Arg!

Decorating By SugarIt Updated 24 Jul 2014 , 5:55am by kuuushi

SugarIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarIt Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 7

Hiya, I have to make trees for a cake that I'm making. I have made a basic tear drop shape then snipped it to look like a Xmas tree, however it is not tall enough and I wondered if any of you fellow cakers have any suggestions to what to use as a trunk? Moulding chocolate, Cadburys Twirl or something stronger like flower paste?

Thank you in advance

Shari

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 7

Apretzels rice krispie treats pasta mini reese's pnut butter cup make another one that the first one can sit on Twix candy bar

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 2:47am
post #3 of 7

I usually make my pine trees by covering ice cream cones w/b'cream stars or use tip 74 (?I think that's the #).  It looks sort of like a star tip but has one side 'squashed' :)

You can see sever examples in my posted pix. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi 

I usually make my pine trees by covering ice cream cones w/b'cream stars or use tip 74 (?I think that's the #).  It looks sort of like a star tip but has one side 'squashed' :)

You can see sever examples in my posted pix. 

kakeladi, what a smart idea.  You'd get better coverage of the cone that way. tip 74.

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 3:58am
post #5 of 7

AI saw an episode of Ace Of Cakes where Duff spread a super thin layer of green royal icing out on a mat and let it dry somewhat. Then when it was mostly set, he took a bench scraper and scraped it all off. It basically looked like shaved ice at this point. He then made his tree shape out of gum paste or fondant, and attached this green fuzz on it to create a realistic looking tree foliage.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 4:01am
post #6 of 7

^ that's brilliant!

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 5:55am
post #7 of 7

AYes! The Hogwarts episode! What an amazing idea, was watching it in awe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%