Design Question

Decorating By lauralee422 Updated 22 Jul 2014 , 3:57pm by -K8memphis

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:42am
post #1 of 7

HI GUYS!!!!  Not sure if this is the right forum but, here goes:

I consider myself a fairly creative person, and I do lots of cakes on the side. But Im at a complete loss on this one.  My brother is getting married for the 2nd time- and asked for me to make the cake for him :)  Im so so happy to do it.  They are a really non traditional couple, and didn't want the "traditional" wedding cake.  They both have kids, so they thought a "brady bunch" type theme would be good.  SO- they did the attached picture, and I created an edible image.  Now I need to design a cake, colors don't matter, with this edible image on the top.  I've baked 2 square cakes, 10" and 8" (freezing them), the picture will take up the 8" top of the top tier.  Now Im at a complete loss for what type of design to do.  Anyone have any suggestions??? I thought that the front of the top tier can be like a monogram?   A little plaque with their first initials on it.  I don't know what else to really do?  Anyone have anything like this that they've done?  

6 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:46am
post #2 of 7

Not sure about what to put as the design on the side, but that is adorable!  I love it!  A monogram sounds nice.

lauralee422 Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 4:06am
post #3 of 7

THANKS!!  They're such a great and fun spirited couple- i want the cake to reflect that.  I thought a monogram on the top tier would be good.. but I'm stumped on the bottom tier.  I thought maybe I should put some fresh flowers to make it look wedding-y but they dont want wedding-y and I didn't think it went w/ the picture.  Then I thought designs, maybe stripes or chevron stripes.. not sure.. and not sure what colors, etc.. ugh I'm literally stumped on this one.  

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 8:53am
post #4 of 7

Could you make the picture into a topper?  So put it on a gumpaste board and prop it up and make a boarder around it?  It would add a little height to the cake as well if it is just two tiers.  Id then probably use the blue and black to make a boarder around the bottom two cakes if you wanted to keep it simple.  The first thing I thought of when I saw that though was like a film strip or something - not sure why...but if they are a not-traditional couple, maybe you could bring in some more photos and have smaller versions of them on something like a filmstrip, or just  pouring down the cake? Have fun x

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 10:10am
post #5 of 7

AWhat about making the rest of the cake tiled like a Rubik cube -- idk -- I would put that on the side though to show it off -- i Think I'd do a 9" cube and tile the whole thing

lauralee422 Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 7

ATHanks for the suggestions guys! The wedding is only 2 wks away and I just now got the image- the store where i get the images done is closed for one of the weeks so I've already sent it to her in a 7.5" 7.5" square-- so looks like it has to be on the top which I guess is fine because my brother suggested it. I feel like I need height though- but i may have to sacrifice that in this case.

I love the idea of the rubik's cube though. Maybe something like that would be fun.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 7

rubik's have black borders so 7.5 probably would work perfect on a 9" cube fwiw

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%