Dark Chocolate Vs Chocolate

Baking By aryewolfie Updated 27 Sep 2014 , 12:03am by -K8memphis

aryewolfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aryewolfie Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 2:34am
post #1 of 11

A[SIZE=3]Hi, I've been seeing a lot of recipes for dark chocolate cupcakes or cakes. What's the difference between dark chocolate cupcakes, milk chocolate cupcakes and just chocolate cupcakes. I'm kind of confused. Thanks :-D[/SIZE]

10 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 2:39am
post #2 of 11

I think that for many it is a visual thing... but there are differences in flavor from my milk and dark chocolate cake mixes... 

For my milk chocolate I use melted but cool milk chocolate and regular or dutch cocoa powder...

For my dark chocolate I used melted but cool dark chocolate, regular or dutch cocoa powder, and black cocoa powder... 

The dark is visually darker, but also has a more prominent chocolate taste...

aryewolfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aryewolfie Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:18am
post #3 of 11

AThanks a lot. I guess I've basically been baking dark chocolate cupcakes for the last year or so. I switched cocoa brand last year when the one I used all my life (and so did my mom and grandma) couldn't be found anywhere. I checked and it's a dark cocoa. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back though,kinda like the dark chocolate baked goods!

mogleyzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mogleyzw Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 11

Just a quick question on this.  How would I get a darker icing for cupcakes?  I have a dark chocolate cupcake recipe and I want my icing to be as dark as the cupcake, I don't think it look good visually when the cupcake is darker then the cupcake (darker looks richer and chocolate-ier in my opinion).  I have tried using cocoa powder and dark chocolate but its always turns out light and not like in some pictures I have seen.  Any recommendations?

Thanks

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 7:07am
post #5 of 11

APerhaps try a whipped dark chocolate ganache?

mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 11

ACan't you just pipe ganache, unwhipped? This page shoes the difference. To me, it seems like the more you whip, the lighter it gets. http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/08/simply-glorious-chocolate-ganache-recipe-3-ways/ [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3288831/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 11

yes when it's the right temperature 

mogleyzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mogleyzw Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 11

You wouldn't be able to get the rich dark colour with a buttercream would you??

The reason I ask is because I am planning on filling the cupcake with a chocolate ganache.  I thought it would be too much ganache.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 11

sure you could -- the pictures you have show whipped ganache right-- but if you make a buttercream with cocoa or  melted chocolate yes it gets nice & dark -- hershey's or any kind -- nestles cocoa is a really nice flavor in cocoa powder too --

you can also purchase black cocoa --similar to the kind they make oreos out of -- from king arthur flour company and you can make super dark black icing -- but even hershey's will get you a nice dark brown -- any cocoa powder will

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 11

Just add more cocoa. Also, if you let it sit for a day or so in a covered container, then stir, I find it darkens since the air you added into it when making it disappears.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 12:03am
post #11 of 11

if you let it sit for a day like dayti suggests you'll need to make twice as much to offset samplings :-D 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%