Making Ninja Turtle Head Cake - What Type Of Cake Do I Need To Use?

Decorating By LovestoBake8587 Updated 21 Jul 2014 , 8:13pm by -K8memphis

LovestoBake8587 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovestoBake8587 Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 1:31am
post #1 of 6

I've done stacked cakes for weddings, etc. and they hold up fine.  What I'm not sure of is if I use the Wilton ball pan - or any other way to make the cake - should I use a more dense type of cake or will the white or chocolate cake be fine?  

Thanks in advance for any pointers.  

lovestobake8587

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 6

i mean a denser cake makes more sense as you say but it can be done with regular light & fluffy cake -- although i usually carve layers to make a ball --

LovestoBake8587 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovestoBake8587 Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 6

I've actually never "carved" a cake.  Something I need to learn to do.  Is it very difficult?  Do you still use a crusting buttercream or some other type of frosting that is more stiff?  

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 6

it's only difficult when it doesn't work :lol:

and i usually use smbc and i often fill sculptures with decadent fillings like whipped cream and fresh strawberries, bananas in caramel, lemon cream, berry filling, and i make this cream cheese sour cream filling too -- gotta really watch the clock with some of these --

KellyKSD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKSD Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 6

I have found with any kind of carving or shaped cakes that the cake itself is usually not the issue, but rather making sure you let the cake rest for an appropriate time (I usually wrap in plastic wrap and let rest overnight) before trying to do anything with it. Even a simple 2-layer cake will fall apart if you try to move it around too much too soon. 

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 6

come to think of it i typically work with frozen cake when carving or final icing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%