Ninja Turtle Topper

Decorating By shorn0099 Updated 21 Jul 2014 , 5:31pm by Alexsmommee

shorn0099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shorn0099 Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 6

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3265728/width/200/height/400[/IMG] I am having a hard time making the top. The little square bumps to be exact. Do they look individually made a placed on? Or should I look for one of those patterns that press into the fondant? Thanks!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 6

i would look around the house for something like that -- the pattern or a little hollow square thing -- like if you have a plunger that is square you could use that and not plunge it --kwim? or like the other end of a marker or look around you will find something some kind of plug in cord -- the top of a mascara tube...

other than that i'd free hand it too -- it's random enough that you don't have to be perfect so -- but on brand new fresh rolled fondant -- it sets up fast --

i might make a little tool out of foam but honestly i would free hand this --

just tossing out possibilities for you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 6

maybe the bottom of a nail polish or some packing material -- you could make something out of cardboard!

Alexsmommee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexsmommee Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 6

I did this cake also a few months ago.  I may not have chosen the same technique as White Crafty Cakes, but if you and I can't tell from the photo, neither can the client!  They'll love it either way.  I cheated.  I wrapped a cardboard circle in fondant.  Not terribly well.  It is a manhole cover after all, and you're going to run a trim around the edge anyway.  After you cover the circle, BUT BEFORE you trim the circle, make lines in the soft fondant.  I used a 12" metal craft ruler, evenly eyeballed it, and pressed so as to not go all the way through to the cardboard.  Afterwards, I used a ball tool and put a dent into each square.  Let this set before adding the trim or you may mess it up when pressing on the trim.  Trim the circle, added the screw heads and pre-cut and painted letters, and voila! 

shorn0099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shorn0099 Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 6

AOh wow! That's a great job. Thank you so much. did you do 3 layers of cake or 2?

Alexsmommee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexsmommee Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 6

AThe pizza tier was a 2" x 12" piece of styrofoam. These cheese was grated white chocolate. The other tiers (6" & 9") were 4" tall tiers. I usually do two layers measuring 1 7/8" thick with 1/4" filling. The bricks were 1" x 2" or 1" x 2.5" I think. I have a large quilter's cutting mat I use for making things like bricks since it has the grid and measurements. Hope these details help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%