Problems With Buttercream

Decorating By Elaine2581 Updated 21 Jul 2014 , 12:29pm by Elaine2581

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 5

I read many pages from "Everything you want to know about Buttercream" but still need help!  I've used Sharon Zambito (Sugarshack)'s recipe for years with great success.  Even using the Aldi brand shortening and powdered sugar I had smooth as silk buttercream.  But not lately.  I've tried using Domino's Powdered Sugar and even found a store brand of shortening with 0.5g of transfat.  Still not successful.  Does anyone have suggestions.  I can't even smooth it out with a spatula.  It still looks and feels grainy.  It does crust but the overall look is just not nearly as nice.  Thanks for any suggestions.

4 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 12:05am
post #2 of 5

The only brand of shortening, other than hi ratio, that I have been able to find in my area that still has the full 2.5 grams of transfat per serving is IGA brand.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 12:07am
post #3 of 5

Try mixing it for less time at a lower speed after adding all the ingredients.

SweetOutlaws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOutlaws Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 4:58am
post #4 of 5

Are you using milk in your recipe or whipping cream? I had the same problem a few weeks ago, I used milk in my recipe and it looked runny and grainy. I found a recipe that used whipping cream, and it came out so perfect! Every bite had the best taste!

I used Domino PS!

I beat my butter, sugar, and vanilla for 3 mins before adding 1 tablespoon of whipping cream, and then beat everything together for another minute or two.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the responses.  I've been using coffee creamer dissolved in boiling water for the liquid in the recipe.  It has worked for years but not so well for the last two weeks.  I did try it using Domino PS and really could not see any improvement.  Guess I'll just have to go ahead and invest in Hi Ratio shortening.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%