I Want The Cookies To Spread... But They Are Not... :(

Baking By craftybanana Updated 8 Sep 2014 , 7:55pm by MBalaska

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 9

I made oatmeal raisin cookies, they are thick and airy, and did not spread much, instead they looked "puffed." They are not dense either. I don't have this problem with my chocolate chip cookie recipe which is from the same cook book: Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book.

I looked at threads about how to keep your cookies from spreading and did the opposite (like creaming the butter longer to whip air, putting them on greases cookie sheets, not refrigerating them). I'm also using a cookie scoop for the first time.

The recipe is as follows:

3/4cup butter or margarine (I used Imperial brand 53% oil)

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon of baking soda

1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

2 eggs

1 teaspoon of vanilla

1-3/4 cup flour

2 cups of rolled oats

1 cup raisins

The batter was spreadable consistency when I was done with it, so I'm not sure why they look puffed up as if I had put them in cold. I'm trying to get a crispy cookie on the dense side.

Any help is appreciated!

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 9

as far as a recipe-- i just always use the one in the quaker oats box -- as far as a couple ideas, you can pat them down half way through the bake as well as before you bake them of course -- and just a random idea but i love cookies like this is to use ground raisins that increases density a bit -- you might to add a little egg white if you do it in a food processor -- using unbleached or bread flour will make them denser -- you could add one or two tablespoons of milk to your recipe too

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 9

try this for flat cookies.....

INGREDIENTS:

• 3/4 Cup(s) firmly packed brown sugar
    • 3/4 Cup(s) trans-fat free vegetable shortening
    • 1/2 Cup(s) granulated sugar
    • 1 Egg(s)
    • 1/4 Cup(s) Water
    • 1 Teaspoon(s) vanilla
    • 3 Cup(s) Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
    • 1 Cup(s) all-purpose flour
    • 1 Teaspoon(s) salt (optional)
    • 1/2 Teaspoon(s) Baking Soda

line-seperator.png

PREPARATION:

Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening and granulated sugar on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Add egg, water and vanilla; beat well. Add combined oats, flour, salt and baking soda; mix well. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

craftybanana Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you both. I will be trying the one off the Quaker oats container next. My cookies had came out light and fluffy, like muffins instead of like cookies, and I've never had a cookie come out like that. But it was a new recipe so on to a new one! :)

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 9

don't beat in air -- mix them like it says in mb's post -- 

best cookies to you 

MBalaska Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 9

and if you like spicy flavor in your oatmeal raisin cookies, here's something to try:

add:

1 tsp. Cinnamon

1/4 tsp. Mace

1/4 tsp. Nutmeg

It's a delicious and fragrant addition to the cookies.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 9

and if you want a completely different oc delete the raisins & use well toasted coconut w/original recipe -- mmm

craftybanana Posted 8 Sep 2014 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 9

Update: made the Quaker oatmeal cookies yesterday,,, Delicious! and they spread nicely too! Thank you for the suggestions! :D 

Edit: forgot to add that they were chewy and will lend themselves well to slight modifications, such as a bit of almond meal (or pecan meal).

;-D

MBalaska Posted 8 Sep 2014 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 9

Wonderful news Craftybanana!   It's always satisfying to hear that something has worked out well.  Feedback is helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%