Airbrushing Buttercream Flowers

Decorating By MariaK38 Updated 18 Jul 2014 , 8:05pm by kakeladi

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 6

AHi! Does anyone know if you can airbrush crusted buttercream flowers? For instance, if I piped roses, put them on a cookie sheet to rest, then airbrushed them? I'm thinking this might be a handy way to gethem done for a very "flowery" cake without coloring a bunch of different colors of icing. What do you think? I'm asking because I don't have an airbrush and can't do a test run. Thanks!

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 6

I can't believe I didn't think of this (well, I can actually!). I have to do a cake and cupcakes with tropical coloured BC flowers for tomorrow. I was playing around the other day and had some flowers done in plain BC - I use a crusting BC. I just got my airbrush and did a test, it works great!!! 

I haven't done BC flowers for years, so I was a bit nervous piping strong colours direct on the cake/cupcakes. I think I will get on now with the flowers, let them crust, then colour them, then place them. Thanks for your idea!

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 6

wow, those look great!  I appreciate you posting the picture.  Thank you!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 6
You can.  It's hard to get the color airbrushed in all of the petal cracks without ending up with a color that may be a lot darker than the original plan.  This might work well if the intended look you're going for is a light dusting of color, otherwise piping them with the solid color would be best.

Keep in mind, when saturated with sprayed on color, they're more difficult to remove from the pan without breaking petal edges unless you've got time to wait for them to air dry for a couple/few more days.

hobbist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbist Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 6

I have airbrushed buttercream  flowers before also.  I have frozen them well wrapped too.  Worked great.   I have airbrushed royal icing flowers also.  Never froze them.   I was worried they would melt  when defrosted.  Anyone ever try to freeze RI decorations?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 6

Definitely can airbrush flowers - I did all the time:)  Use a crusting b'cream.  If I remember right I posted a recipe on this site yrs ago for making  B'cream flowers.  

I also have fzn them but don't like that.  One has to work soooooo fast - they start to melt instantly when removed from fzr.  Most of the time I lost more then I gained:( 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%