Make White Cake Yellow Cake?

Decorating By HotPink_LipGloss Updated 24 Aug 2014 , 7:01pm by MBalaska

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 12:14am
post #1 of 7

AHi all. I absolutely love the white cake recipe I use. It requries 4 large egg whites. How many large eggs with the yolk should I use to turn it into a yellow cake recipe?

I normally just use 3/4 cup of liquid egg whites(as stated on the back) when I make white cake, but I'm not sure if the measurements for liquid whites are the same as regular eggs. My cakes don't come out as fluffy if I use regular large egg whites for some reason.

Thank you for any help.

6 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 12:33am
post #2 of 7

Probably 2 or 3 max on whole eggs.  If you really want a yellow cake, use only yolks...about 5-6.

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 12:36am
post #3 of 7

AThank you!!I will try that.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 11:56am
post #4 of 7

My white cake uses 4 whites....when I make yellow cake, I use two large whole eggs plus 3 large egg yolks.  I usually add a drop or two of yellow coloring too since even with whole eggs the cakes really isn't "yellow" enough.  Most people are expecting the color of boxed mix yellow cake, so adding a bit of color helps distinguish the cake more from a white cake.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett 

My white cake uses 4 whites....when I make yellow cake, I use two large whole eggs plus 3 large egg yolks.  I usually add a drop or two of yellow coloring too since even with whole eggs the cakes really isn't "yellow" enough.  Most people are expecting the color of boxed mix yellow cake, so adding a bit of color helps distinguish the cake more from a white cake.

Absolutely Jeff_Arnett.  I do this with recipes all the time.  I find that the all egg yolk yellow cake recipes don't have enough structure - the whites add that.

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 9:27am
post #6 of 7

AThank you both for the input!! There is a local cupcake shop that makes the best yellow cake/cupcakes. It's just as fluffy as the box stuff if not more and almost highlighter yellow bc they use farm fresh eggs. However, they use just the yolks & it is so fragile. By the time I arrive home which only takes 15 min, they fall apart. It's just so fluffy, light, and tender...from scratch.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 7

Let everyone know how it works out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%