Non Alcohol Fruit Cake 6 Weeks Notice

Decorating By sas1980 Updated 19 Jul 2014 , 1:51pm by cazza1

sas1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sas1980 Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone, has anyone got a good recipe for a fruit cake that needs to be at it's best by 7th September? I've been told I should be leaving it to mature for longer than that but obviously don't have more time. Also it's for a Christening and children will eat it so need to have no alcohol in there. Help please!

6 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 9:22am
post #2 of 7

the alcohol in the fruit cake evaporates during baking so its really not a problem for children. Its not as if they will be downing a swig of rum:)

My dad starts eating the fruit cake almost as soon as it comes out of the oven I don't think its ever matured more than a month.. I think the Delia Smith fruit cake is similar to mine

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 10:47am
post #3 of 7

AYou can replace the alcohol in fruit cakes for fruit juice, so any recipe will do.

sas1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sas1980 Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you for your replies. May  give the fruit juice idea a try, I presume it will still keep a few weeks without the alcohol in it?

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 7

Someone might be able to correct me, but if you use a recipe for a 'rich' fruitcake, rather than a 'boiled' fruitcake, it should be fine.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 7

If you wrap the cake well and then freeze it for a few days then defrost, that helps mature it as the freezing/defrosting process breaks down the cell walls in the fruit.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 7

Do NOT make a boiled fruit cake or it is just as likely to be mouldy in 6 weeks.  They are designed to be eaten straight away and do not much like having fondant placed over them.  I've heard a few horror stories of decorated boiled fruit cakes including the mouldy one my mother won in a raffle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%