How To Use Makins Extruder Correctly?

Decorating By mattyeatscakes Updated 16 Jul 2014 , 5:46pm by Caketrainer

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 12

AHi there CC! I recently bought a Makin's Clay Extruder. I tried using it with both fondant and gumpaste and the results are always the same. The fondant or gumpaste ropes always come out looking stretched out, light coloured due to the stretching and very rough looking.

I read some forums here and tried the advices, like coat the fondant or gumpaste with shortening, which i did. I turned the crank very slowly, i made sure i wasn't stretching it out while it was being pushed out.

So what do i do? I need to make a princess tiara for next week :( any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you.

11 replies
rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 12

Sorry I can't help you.... just posting to say I get the same results. I know I've used it before and it came out ok/fine, but lately I'm getting the rough edges and stretching :-(

could be the brand of fondant we are using? if you tried all the other suggestions

mattyeatscakes Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 12

AIt's frustrating right? :( i used both homemade MMF and the Witon ready made gumpaste. I hope somebody can help us.. Huhuhu

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 12

I just received Makings clay extruder  last week and  practiced. I used home made MFF. It is harder than I thought.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 12

I usually use fondant with cmc or tylo added to it, I find it works better than straight fondant or gumpaste. I have used various brands of fondant, so I don't think that's an issue. I massage in a lot of crisco to get it really soft, but not gooey. That helps it come out smoothly, easily, and with no cracking. Turning the crank handle at a slow steady rhythm also helps, and as soon as your string starts coming out, make sure the end of it is on the workbench, not just hanging in the air, so the weight of the length does not stretch it. Good luck!

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you, Dayti. What is cmc?

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 12:33am
post #7 of 12

I agree with Dayti.  I end up kneading a lot of shortening into the fondant or gumpaste before extruding.  Without it, I usually end up with those annoying rough edges too. 

mattyeatscakes Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 4:29am
post #8 of 12

AThanks for the tips!! I will knead in more shortening nxt time :) i am in canada and we don't have CMC or tylose here, just the Wilton Gumtex. Don't know if it works the same way.. Wish me luck with my tiara! :)

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 9:04am
post #9 of 12

Hi!

I saw a tip here on CC. That is to make sure that the consistency of the fondant or gumpaste is as soft as chewed chewing gum before it is placed in the extruder. You achieve this by taking the ball of gumpaste/fondant and rubbing in shortening and dunking it in a little bowl of water alternatively and kneading well until the desired consistency is achieved. I have tried this and it worked like a charm!! :) I use to just hate my extruder for the above reasons and now I just love it!! :) I can't remember the name of the thread, I'm afraid....maybe it was  called 'success with the extruder' or something like that. Anyway, hope this helps!!

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 9:05am
post #10 of 12

...oh and good luck with your tiara :)

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattyeatscakes 

Thanks for the tips!! I will knead in more shortening nxt time icon_smile.gif i am in canada and we don't have CMC or tylose here, just the Wilton Gumtex. Don't know if it works the same way.. Wish me luck with my tiara! icon_smile.gif

I'm in Canada too!  I ordered tylose from Golda's Kitchen.  I actually end up ordering a lot of stuff from them hehe, give it a shot :)

Caketrainer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caketrainer Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 12

i have found that if you massage some Crisco into the fondant, make it pretty soft it will come out eaiser. This works for me every time. Good Luck!:smile:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%