Plunger Vs Silicone Mold For Fondant Decorations

Baking By MariaK38 Updated 18 Jul 2014 , 12:31am by HotPink_LipGloss

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 5

Hello!  I'd like to add a new dimension to my cupcakes and cupcake cakes by offering simple fondant flowers/decorations to my cupcakes and cupcake cakes.  

Do you prefer to use the plunger cutters (I like the butterfly and daisy with the imprints) or the silicone molds to make your decorations?  I've been looking at both and can't decide which would be easier to use and which would be best for my purposes.

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 5

plungers are easier

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

plungers are easier

And quicker.

My favourite is the 5 petal blossom cutters. Cut out, and plunge it carefully onto a soft foam pad. Instant shape, and you just glue a dragee into the center or squeeze a little RI in there which is faster. 

The daisy ones are cute, but look best if some work is done to the petals, so it's slower, but it depends on the look you are going for. 

If you are happy with flat flowers, you could also look at punching out flowers and butterflies from wafer paper using paper punches. You can print the paper beforehand to make them prettier, if you don't want plain white. You can curl them using a little water or steam but I think you would want fast/easy for cupcakes.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 5

AThanks!

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 12:30am
post #5 of 5

APlungers bc with silicone you have to make sure you don't put too much or too little fondant in. Then you must make sure you coat the mold in cornstarch so the fondant won't stick... and try to dig the fondant out after you put in mold. It's much more time consuming than the plungers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%