Help Covering A Imbc Wedding Cake With Bottom Tier Real Cake And Top 3 Tiers With Dummies.

Decorating By radtech Updated 14 Jul 2014 , 5:50pm by radtech

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 14 Jul 2014 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 5

A friend asked me to make her wedding cake with the bottom tier a12 inch square of actual cake and the next 3 tiers (10/8/6) dummies-all frosted in IMBC.  Will this work and should I put a dowel the entire cake so there is no cance of any movement-It will be traveling approximately 2 1/2 hours.  I am not attending the wedding and I need a little advice and encouragement. :)

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2014 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 5

no i don't think you need a center dowel but you could use a toothpick or a few to adhere one tier to the next just for security if you want -- there won't be much g-force to push tiers off each other if they have to stand on the brakes --

i'd make a box to deliver this -- a sealed corrugated cardboard box will hold the (already cold) cake in a climate controlled environment -- if it was me i'd add a freezer pack that was wrapped with a paper towel to hold the condensation and placed in a zip lock bag so it can keep the cake even more climate controlled on the trip -- in direct noon memphis heat/humidity this arrangement keeps cakes perfectly for hours --

and placed where it cannot come loose and injure the cake like in it's own plastic box underneath everything or wired into the corner --

you'll do fine!

but every booboo will show on the imbc -- so the bride needs to be aware of that potentiality

radtech Posted 14 Jul 2014 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the imput, I really appreciate it.  I live in MIchigan and we just went from hot humid weather recently to tomorrow's high of only in the upper 60's so you never know what the weather will be from one day to the next.  I love the idea of the toothpicks to keep the tiers from shifting.  The good thing about this cake is that she likes the rustic look to the cake so any little booboo will be easier to hide.

Thanks again!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2014 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 5

AOh cool-- love me some rustic cake! That's perfect -- send a bag of icing -- of course even at lower outdoor temps -- temps inside a car can ruin a cake in a matter of minutes -- since you're not delivering, you need to do all their thinking for them & make it foolproof --

you got this!

radtech Posted 14 Jul 2014 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 5

Sending extra buttercream.....didn't think of that!    Thanks again :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%