Georgetown Cupcakes-How Do They Do It :)

Business By Cakecrazy25 Updated 15 Jul 2014 , 3:12am by denetteb

Cakecrazy25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakecrazy25 Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 1:13am
post #1 of 18

AI've recently starting watching a very entertaining show called DC cupcakes. I give these ladies credit for being so fearless and allowing us as viewers in their lives. But.........I can't help to be astonished at the amount of confusion that goes on. It also baffles me how much they randomly mix stuff together and throw it in the oven for 15 minutes, 24 hours before committing to make 1500 for their client the next day. It takes me atleast a week to introduce a new flavor with countless amounts of adjustments sometimes. Is it because cup cakes are almost fool proof? Where as a cake round may be more of a challenge in terms of recipe configuration? Their whole operation makes me want to jump into my TV screen and stop the madness and give them some advice even tho I've never operated a bakery. With what is portrayed on their show I'm not sure how they made it so big for so long. I always thought running a tight ship with a strong captain was a recipe for success. But, I guess not. Again, I admire their fearless, adventurous and loveable naive at times personality. I couldn't do it. I'm too much of a control freak. I always have to set myself up for success in everything i do for others. All my moves are calculated and mythical. And I would want to surround myself with like minded employees. Kudos to them for their spunk !!!

17 replies
Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 1:43am
post #2 of 18

I agree.  they annoy me with the drama.  I think there's an awful lot of people behind the scenes getting the jobs completed.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 1:51am
post #3 of 18

AI can guarantee Cakecrazy 25 that what you are watching is "made for tv" . By that I mean put on for the camera and viewers. I'm sure if you walked in on any given day, they wouldn't be that disorganized. It would be a well run regular bakery. And they have a separate shop around the corner where they do the serious business of test baking, recipe experimentation etc. These ladies are no fluff balls, no matter how they portray themselves. My son-in-law is a documentary filmmaker, but he started by filming a few well known reality shows here in Canada. I learned a lot from him about reality tv. In these shows there told to hype things up, over react, be crazy, etc. The more the better, cause audiences eat it up. Cake Boss is the same...all showmanship.... Sometimes you wish they would skip all that silly stuff and just show the decorating!!

Cakecrazy25 Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 2:29am
post #4 of 18

AYes. The cake boss is another one that upsets me. Mostly when it comes to the high volume of waste due to silly human error and sanitation . He is much more organized then what DC cupcakes portray. Before writing my initial post I googled Georgetown cupcakes to see if they were still in business and sure enough they were. I live 45 minutes away. I should pay them a visit. Anywho I'm glad they aren't as flighty as they act on tv. It's always refreshing to see woman with successful businesses.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 2:48am
post #5 of 18

AOh yes Cakecrazy25, you should go check out the shop...try some of there cupcakes too. I know 2 decorators that drove from Canada to Carlo's Bakery. They bought several cakes, cupcakes etc., and were disappointed in them. They loved the cannoli the best.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 18

A

Original message sent by Alfiesmom

I agree.  they annoy me with the drama.  I think there's an awful lot of people behind the scenes getting the jobs completed.

Original message sent by Cakecrazy25

Yes. The cake boss is another one that upsets me. Mostly when it comes to the high volume of waste due to silly human error and sanitation . He is much more organized then what DC cupcakes portray. Before writing my initial post I googled Georgetown cupcakes to see if they were still in business and sure enough they were. I live 45 minutes away. I should pay them a visit. Anywho I'm glad they aren't as flighty as they act on tv. It's always refreshing to see woman with successful businesses.

Buddy has admitted that some of the most dramatic moments on the show were completely fabricated. Remember the cake being dumped down the stairs and the bride who came in a ruined a cake?

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 18

Reality TV isn't reality. It's entertainment television. I remember when my sister was at my house and watching Househunters. She was horrified the buyers only got to see 3 houses. I explained to her that it was all staged. The buyers had already bought and were living in the house the "chose" on the show and were just doing a staged "going through possibly homes" when they were really the homes of friends and some empty ones on the market.

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 1:00am
post #8 of 18

Agree with everyone else. I went to georgetown cupcakes in Los Angeles last year and it was perfectly calm. It was right after they opened in the morning. A few gals in the front to help customers and then three people in the kitchen working on piping cupcakes and their fondant toppers. It was pretty cool to look inside to see what they have. The kitchen was super clean! I can only imagine how early their staff gets in to bake. My staff gets in at 6:30 and many days we just barely finish everything by the time we open at 11. 

Side note: I went into business with my mom and she said if the staff ever calls her Mommy like on DC Cupcakes, she's leaving. :P 

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 1:18am
post #9 of 18

Thats what I was getting ready to ask if these are the ones that call their Mother...Mommy.....I hope that is part of the hype....We also owned a bakery and it was very busy and we had to keep our cool to get everything done....there were however times we just wanted to collasp and lock the door....

Cakecrazy25 Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 3:23am
post #10 of 18

AOMG that was fake? They looked so shocked and surprised. They are very good actors lol. Very job. When all that cake fell down the stairs my heart was in so much pain.

Cakecrazy25 Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 3:26am
post #11 of 18

AThesugarlab..... that is hilarious. Mommy seems clueless as well.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 12:36am
post #12 of 18

I've met about 5 people  from the cake world who have been on tv or who have been interviewed for tv--ALL of them say that the producers are looking for drama (real or not).  It's TV. 

I also know a couple that was on another non-cake "reality" show.  All I could do was shake my head in disbelief between what I KNEW was the truth, and what was shown.   About 20% was true.   Frankly, I was embarrassed for everyone involved. 

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 12:47am
post #13 of 18

A

Original message sent by Cakecrazy25

OMG that was fake? They looked so shocked and surprised. They are very good actors lol. Very job. When all that cake fell down the stairs my heart was in so much pain.

They have an elevator. No one has to carry cakes up and down stairs.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 1:14am
post #14 of 18

Why I don't watch any of the "reality" cooking shows. It's all drama for TV.  I know that someone making 1500 cupcakes would not be that disorganized if they are professional.  I've done 1000 before at the last caterer I worked for, and I planned for a couple weeks.  

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 2:26am
post #15 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by rychevamp 

Why I don't watch any of the "reality" cooking shows. It's all drama for TV.  I know that someone making 1500 cupcakes would not be that disorganized if they are professional.  I've done 1000 before at the last caterer I worked for, and I planned for a couple weeks.  

Agreed rychevamp.  The cake shows that I enjoyed watching, with the Chicago sisters, the tattoo lady in New York, and the guy and gal in Los Angeles,  hasn't been on in ages.  I hope that they are still doing a good business, making people happy, and making lot's of money.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 2:48am
post #16 of 18

I don't have cable but had heard about Buddy's show.  My sister raved about it thinking I would like it.  She gave me links to highlights of a couple of shows.  One was the one with the bride going crazy with her white cake and the other involved a big bag of flour getting broken (in a way that wouldn't happen naturally) and flour all over.  Both of them seemed so unbelievable to me that I was completely turned off and never interested in watching ever again.

Cakecrazy25 Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 3:07am
post #17 of 18

AAwh. Well I like it simply to see how he constructs things.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 3:12am
post #18 of 18

That was the problem, the highlights I saw ONLY showed drama, not a bit of baking or decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%