Satin Ice Vs. Sunny Side Up Bakery

Decorating By momo4s Updated 16 Jul 2014 , 4:35am by morganchampagne

momo4s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momo4s Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 8

Have a wedding cake and was planning on using the Satin ice tubs from Hobby Lobby.  Went in and they only have Sunny Side Up Bakery now.   Lady said the tubs still come in a BIG box that is labeled Satin Ice and under ingredients is says "manufactured by Satin Fine Foods" so is it still Satin Ice just a new name?  Tried to look it up online but didn't find results.   Debating weather I should take her word that it's the same or drive an hour to get it from a store that still has one actually labeled Satin Ice......

7 replies
Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 1:46am
post #2 of 8

I was wondering the same thing. I needed to use some for figures and covering a cake so I bought a tub.  It smelled and acted like Satin Ice.  There wasn't any label inside saying it was Satin Ice, though.

I had a few more issues than I normally have with elephant skin, but I'm not sure if that was due to the product or the heat and humidity here.

Cheryl

momo4s Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 4:03am
post #3 of 8

Thanks for letting me know Annie8!  I was worried and just drove to get the actual Satin Ice this time, but I did go ahead and ask them on their facebook page.  They replied that if I send them a personal message they can answer it further.  So I'll let you know what they say.......:)

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 5:16am
post #4 of 8

ASomeone on a Facebook group confirmed that it was satin ice repackaged...just like how they do at Decopac. But do let us know what they say!

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 8

I'm interested to hear what they say, too.  The Sunny Side products at Hobby Lobby are a little weird at times.  I have no problems with some of their products, but tons of issues with others.  I bought piping bags once and they were awful. They tore all the time.  I was so excited when HL started carrying Satin Ice, but it seemed like it was only there for maybe a year before they started the Sunny Side change. 

Cakes By Alie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes By Alie Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 8

AAhhh! Me too! Used some the other day and I do like the taste. A little more sticky though.

momo4s Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 8

Ok, I got a response from their Facebook page and they said that yes, it is manufactured by the same company and that we should expect the same quality fondant under this name as we do with the Satin Ice.  So there ya go ladies, I guess if you're used to shopping Hobby Lobby for Satin Ice, you can continue to buy the Sunny Side Up Bakery with the same results. :)

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 4:35am
post #8 of 8

AWoohoo!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%