Candy Clay

Sugar Work By I_AM_PAM_10 Updated 30 Jul 2014 , 2:31am by ruellesmith

I_AM_PAM_10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
I_AM_PAM_10 Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 6:08am
post #1 of 9

I've been making the Wilton candy clay for modeling.  How long does it last?  After a few days, mine begins to taste a little like soap.  Does it need to be refrigerated after making?  Thanks for your help.

8 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 10:34am
post #2 of 9

AI don't refrigerate mine. If it tastes gross after a few days you might want to try a new recipe.

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 9

it should definitely NOT taste like soap...what is the recipe?

I've stored mine in the refrigerator, triple wrapped, without any issues for up to a year. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 9

it lasts a long time

I_AM_PAM_10 Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 9

My recipe is the bag of candy melts and corn syrup.  It tastes great for a few days then turns rather rancid/soap tasting.  I'll try keeping it in the fridge to see.  Thanks all.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 3:16am
post #6 of 9

It definitely shouldn't turn rancid or taste like soap. How are you storing it? I find that if I store things in tupperware it takes on a slight plasticky taste, so I don't put anything in sealed tupperware unless it's wrapped in plastic wrap beforehand. Also, if you have a plastic container that you've washed in the dishwasher the smell of the dishsoap can get into it. I don't put my silicone spatulas through the dishwasher anymore because I've noticed that they start to smell like the soap and they give icing an off flavor.

I_AM_PAM_10 Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 3:15am
post #7 of 9

I wrap each color in separate ziploc baggies.  I threw it all out and made new. Keeping it in the fridge.  We'll see.  Thanks, all.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 4:42am
post #8 of 9

Buy some decent chocolate and it will last for months

ruellesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruellesmith Posted 30 Jul 2014 , 2:31am
post #9 of 9

Mine lasted pretty long - around six months. Just remember to keep it stored in the refrigerator. The taste didn't turn out bad as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%