My First Big Cake!

Decorating By cakesreinvented Updated 9 Jul 2014 , 2:07pm by petitecat

cakesreinvented Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesreinvented Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 7

AOmgosh i got my first big cake order for in two weeks.

My question is do you all use traditional baking pans or do you use straight edge?

I want it to be perfect.

Also I'm still getting a bit of a some on my cakes. Going to attempt the "wet towel" strips. Anyone have luck with that?

Thanks! ☺️☺️

6 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 7

Definitely use pans with straight edges, it will save you lots of hassle trimming them. Straight edge pans do not nest inside each other, that's the best way of finding out if they are straight!

Wet towel/baking strips...each to their own. I don't get much of a dome, if any (only on mud cakes and my carrot cakes), but I trim them all down anyway to level them and get the right size layers. 

cakesreinvented Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesreinvented Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 7

AWhat brand have you found works best?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 9:22am
post #4 of 7

I use PME/Fat Daddio's, others on here find they love Magic Line. Wilton...avoid, unless it is the Decorator Preferred range, which are better quality than the normal ones IMO.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 11:16am
post #5 of 7

Good luck on your wedding cake!! Be sure and post a picture.

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 7

Baking strips really do help, before I purchased some, I used a towel, cut in strips and wet. That worked for me, too, maybe just as well. I had a thinner towel, and a wide strip, and doubled it -folded down.

Sometimes, I still have to trim a little.

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 7

Sometimes turning down the oven for certain cakes help where you can't use the bake even strips, like giant cupcake tins, sphere tins, etc. For big cakes (bigger than an 8") I generally lower the temperature and sometimes put it on a lower shelf too. Have to have patience though because it takes a lot longer in the oven.

Good luck with the order!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%