Attaching A Fondant Plaque To A Fondant Cake

Decorating By misspink6969 Updated 1 Jul 2014 , 9:49pm by AZCouture

misspink6969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misspink6969 Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make a fondant name plaque to put on the side of a fondant cake but I am not sure how to attach it without it falling off. 

I am going to make it at the weekend as I need for a cake the following weekend to give it time to dry. 

I’m just a little concerned that it may be too heavy to sick and tear the fondant on the side of the cake. 

I was going to attach it using sugar glue, will this be enough to keep it on the side or will it fall off?  Also is it a case of the more glue the better or it is best just to use a little?

Thanks people!

5 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 6

Unless its going on a square cake, you need to dry it over a cake dummy that has the same curve as the cake will be. OR, store it flat in a Ziplock until you're ready for it. I do that often. I make lots of hand cut plaques for my cakes, and unless you're rolling them unreasonably thick, you'll be fine. Just enough water to make it tacky is all you need to stick it on. Gum glue is fine too, but water is perfectly enough. Not a lot, just enough to make it tacky.

AZCouture Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 6

And...I can't think of the last time I needed one dried before it went on the cake. Any special reason for that?

misspink6969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misspink6969 Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you soooo much for your reply, I really appreciate it :)

I am going to place it on a cake dummy to get the right shape first as you suggested,  I just thought that if it was dried and hard it would be easier to move on to the cake than if it was fresh, don't want it flopping about and loosing its shape!   Do you think it would be ok without leaving it to dry?

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 6

AI'd use melted chocolate/candy melt. Although using water or gum glue is fine, if the plaque is a bit heavy there is a tendency it'll slide down before the glue dries. Downside with using melted chocolate once the plaque is on the cake and the chocolate has dried, you can't change the position. Good luck :)

AZCouture Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 6

ALike I said, I can't think of the last time I wanted one dry. I do a fair amount of them, and generally use gum paste or at least a fifty fifty mix, forgot to mention that. And personally, the last thing I would consider is melting chocolate. That will slide on you way before plain old water will, if it gets hot enough. Once the water basically fuses the plaque to the fondant, it's not likely to go anywhere. If chocolate works for you, great, just for my purposes and lots of prior experience with plaques, water is my go to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%