Best Icing To Use For Hot & Humid Weather!

Decorating By trisha leigh Updated 6 Jul 2014 , 3:33pm by trisha leigh

trisha leigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trisha leigh Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 4

AI live in south texas 20 mins from the gulf. I would like to know what are some types of icings that will hold up in this weather. I will be doing a baby shower cake for someone who lives in the water! It's an ocean themed and will have fondant deco. Any suggestions?!?! All is appreciated!

3 replies
sha1col Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sha1col Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 4

AOutside of a crusting buttercream, I wouldn't take my chances with anything else. I' have a wedding cake for next month and I'm in Chicago. Everything will be outside and I was going to use a SMBC and was told not to by someone much more experienced than me. There may be others on the forum that have had good experiences with something else.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 4

I would use a crusting buttercream, however, I would not make it from all butter.  Butter has a lower melting temp than shortening, that is why I say not all butter. You could use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening or all shortening.  I use hi ratio shortening all the time and then use a butter flavoring if a butter flavor is wanted, otherwise I flavor with many different types that I usually have on hand.  There are a couple really good crusting icing recipes on there and if you look for the one from Indi Debbi then that is a great one.

trisha leigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trisha leigh Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 4

AWhen I try to click on recipes and serving charts etc, it doesn't allow me to open it. What type if hi-ratio shortening do you use? Is it just crisco or something else?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%