Time Scale For A Piping Gel Pool...

Decorating By Snowflakebunny23 Updated 2 Jul 2014 , 8:20am by Snowflakebunny23

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 9:51am
post #1 of 3

Morning all!

I am making a swimming pool this weekend and was planning on using piping gel to make the water.  The cake is for a party on Saturday but it will be collected by the customer on the Friday evening.  I've never used piping gel before and while I'm planning to do a test, I was wondering if people think it would be OK to apply the piping gel on the Friday?  I'm a tad worried that the fondant might absorb the moisture in it and all go weird...  Do i need to make the 'tank' out of flowerpaste or anything to keep it safe?

Many thanks

xx

2 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 10:41am
post #2 of 3

AI was wondering exactly this two weeks ago - I made a kitchen with a sink covered in piping gel containing fondant bubbles. I put the gel on the cake on Friday, added the bubbles, and served it Sunday. It was perfectly fine to my amazement. I was so sure the fondant would break down but it didn't change a bit. Be reassured, it worked perfectly for me, so good luck. My piping gel was only a thin layer (about 4 mm) not an actual pool of it. I'm not sure a whole pool of the gel would be very nice to eat, but then I don't have a sweet tooth at all!

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 8:20am
post #3 of 3

Thanks winniemog :-)  Makes me feel better!  I wasn't planning to fill an entire pool of it, just a little bit on the top to make it water-y.  Although now you mention it, a whole pool could look cool!  I thought that it would be fine - you see them put loads of the stuff on the TV shows on there and leave them for ages but I never believe what I see on them any more ;-)

Love the idea of adding fondant bubbles into your sink.  Bet that looked awesome :-) Thanks again xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%