How Early Can I Bake My Cake For A Birthday Party?

Decorating By Krissyy Updated 1 Jul 2014 , 11:13pm by cakegrandma

Krissyy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krissyy Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 1:47am
post #1 of 7

Hey there,

I am suppose to be baking a cake for my coworkers suprise party on Thursday!

I have read that you can bake a cake a few days earlier and gladwrap it really well then freeze it?

If I was to bake it this afternoon, gladwrap it a few times, freeze it then defrost is tomorrow and decorate it and pop it in the fridge, would it be alright for thursday??

6 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 2:32am
post #2 of 7

AI wouldn't freeze a cake just for a night. There's no issue baking today and then serving Thursday. Depends what you're covering and filling it with as to how to store it though....

Krissyy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krissyy Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 2:34am
post #3 of 7

Im going to bake a chocolate cake, using buttercream to cover it.
I just didnt know if it would taste as fresh

Emma Alexandra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emma Alexandra Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 7

Hi there,

You can cover it with your buttercream and just pop it in the fridge to keep it fresh as long as possible, then just be sure it doesn't come out into a really hot room otherwise it will sweat.

Hope this helps :)

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

I wouldn't freeze a cake just for a night. There's no issue baking today and then serving Thursday. Depends what you're covering and filling it with as to how to store it though....

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.  I always wrap the cake, even for the night, when it is still warm on the cooling racks.  I wrap 1 side and flip it over and pull the wrap over the other side and edges.  The next day I take it out, ice and decorate, the cake stays fresh and develops a wonderful crumb.   Unless you have a filling that needs refrigeration then it is not necessary to put it back in the fridge, unless your house is extremely hot.  If you decide to put it in the fridge and you have condensation when you bring it out, just leave it sit and get to room temp and the condensation will evaporate.  The same with fondant, don't touch it and all will be fine, if you touch it there will be finger marks in the finish.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 7

A

Original message sent by cakegrandma

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.  I always wrap the cake, even for the night, when it is still warm on the cooling racks.  I wrap 1 side and flip it over and pull the wrap over the other side and edges.  The next day I take it out, ice and decorate, the cake stays fresh and develops a wonderful crumb.

I'm not sure why you're saying that you disagree with me. You seem to be saying that you wrap the cake overnight and then fill and decorate the next day. Absolutely, I bake one day, wrap the cakes overnight, then torte, fill and ganache the next day. Then I fondant the cakes on day 3 normally. But I don't freeze the cakes during this process as a rule.

Are you saying that you wrap and freeze the cakes overnight, then thaw and decorate them on day 2?

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 7

On the day they are baked I wrap them in Saran and pop them in the freezer. Yes if baked and froze on Monday then I take out with plenty time for them to thaw, torte, fill and ice, and decorate of course.  If the filling needs refrigeration then I pop it back into the fridge.  If not then unless your room is extremely warm you can leave it set out.  If you want to put it in the fridge then go ahead, even if it has fondant on it.  Hopefully that clarified it for you. Sorry if I wasn't clear, didn't mean to mix you up. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%