Banana Buttercream

Baking By Mmmcake25 Updated 1 Jul 2014 , 1:56pm by Mmmcake25

Mmmcake25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mmmcake25 Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 5

I have searched in the recipe section with no such luck, also a google search... I was wondering if anyone had a banana buttercream recipe that they loved and would be willing to share?

I would prefer a meringue based recipe, but ABC is fine.

Also, Will the banana turn the frosting brown? I read that lemon juice can help.

Thanks in advance!

4 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 5

APersonally I only offer banana cake, I think bananas are just too slimy for meringue buttercream (which I use). That's always been an acceptable option for my people, banana cake with vanilla bean buttercream.

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 5

There is a product called banana compound that is the closest thing I have been able to find that tastes like actual fresh bananas, while still being in a form that plays nicely with almost everything I put it in.

No idea what brand it was that I used, but it was made from all bananas, no artificial flavorings.

It had the consistency of chocolate sauce and it mixed in marvelously to my SMBC

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 5

I would think a compound would be the best bet.  I can't see fresh bananas working very well, but I could be wrong.  

Albert Uster makes fruit pastes (basically the same as the compound)  that I've used for various things.  The banana they have isn't bad.  It was the best thing I found when I was trying a banana ganache for a truffle center. 

Perfect Puree does have a banana puree that doesn't turn dark, It already has citric acid added. I just don't have any idea how it would work in buttercream. 

Mmmcake25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mmmcake25 Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for the ideas everyone! Thenerdybaker - I will definitely be hunting for banana compound- or the fruit pastes-

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%