Adding Veining After Gumpaste Has Dried?

Decorating By LizzieAylett Updated 1 Jul 2014 , 9:27am by LizzieAylett

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I was a numpty and forgot to vein the petals for my anemones until they had already dried.  Is there a way to add the veined effect afterwards?  I'm loath to chuck them.

Thanks.

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 8

don't think so.  You could try purring a sharp knife blade to them, but any serious pressure will crack them.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 8

AYou can't do it, sorry. But you could dust them up with good shadows in the dust and they would still be ok. Just no good for competition work or a paying customer, and I'm guessing that's your problem! Could you at least remove the outer petals by unwrapping the tape holding the wires together and add new petals which you do vein?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 8

AIf they're thick enough, might be able to use a Dremel tool and score some lines into them, but I wouldn't bother. Won't be "realistic" looking, and you'll probably just break them. I second the suggestion from[@]winniemog[/@] about shading.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 8

Could you roll out some more fondant/gumpaste super thin and apply it to your already drying petals then really carefully mark that with your veiner or some other tool? Maybe you could try it out on one and see if it works without breaking the drying petals and if you are happy with it.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 12:02am
post #6 of 8

AI just wouldn't even sweat it, really. If they're pretty anyways, who's gonna get upset that they're missing that detail? ;)

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 3:17am
post #7 of 8

I bought the Nicholas Lodge roses course on Craftsy.  He says he only veins petals for competiton, never for retail sale on his cakes, unless they are willing to pay for it!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 9:27am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all your input - I figured they were a lost cause :-)

I was going for as realistic as possible for these ones, just for fun (they're for on my own birthday cake) and practise, so it doesn't matter at all.  And the stamen I got for round the centre are rather large anyway, so botanical realism is out the window!

I'm just going to leave them and try with the shading, as I can't really be bothered making a whole set of new flowers (I'm not sure I can even be bothered to bake a cake at all - morning sickness and all that malarky!).

Thanks for all your help, though, guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%