Disaster From The Start; A Take Of Four Cakes

Decorating By Rae-Anne Updated 2 Jul 2014 , 3:46pm by Betsycakez

Rae-Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rae-Anne Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 4

ASo I'm pretty new in the cake business and was contracted to to my second wedding cake (from scratch, the first I only had to decorate). As I usually do, I planned every detail months in advance and purchased all items needed which I received 2 days before the wedding (I live in the Caribbean).

First headache. The cake was to be four tiers of teal and white fondant covered cakes. When I baked the cakes, I realized the 12 inch and 10 inch pan were very close in size ad I still can't understand what caused this as I double checked the pan sizes. But I could not do anything about that, so I left them as is.

Second headache. Where I live to where the reception was to take place was about half an hour distance laced with horrid roads with winding corners. So transportation was hell to deliver a tired cake.

Third headache. All these things were minuscule I comparison to the final headache. In the high heat of the Caribbean, my strawberry buttercream, under the white layered fondant began to melt.

Just let that soak in for a minute.

Melting pink buttercream under your white fondant.

Needless to say I was petrified and all attempts to save the tier proved futile. In the end I had to remove the tier altogether and make the four tiered cake a now three tiered one.

Worst. Day. Ever.

But the cake was still loved, and that's somewhat of a consolation.[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3253218/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3253219/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

3 replies
princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 6:11am
post #2 of 4

That's a gorgeous cake - and I'm sure it was still lovely as a three tier version. So glad that the couple loved it. The stress is worth it when you know your work is valued!

Cris.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 6:34am
post #3 of 4

ASounds like a hell of a day! Glad you were able to salvage it!!

Betsycakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Betsycakez Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 4

Still looks beautiful!! ugh but do i ever know the disaster of heat and cakes (esp. fondant)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%