How Do Cover A Cake Without Being Able To See The Gap Between The Trouble Halves?!

Decorating By Jadieb88 Updated 2 Jul 2014 , 9:30pm by chasingmytail

Jadieb88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jadieb88 Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 6

AHey guys, Iv been cake decorating cakes for a year now and a few times Iv noticed that when I fill my cakes with buttercream and crumb coat sometimes after Iv put the icing on you can see where the cakes are sandwiched on top of each other.. Does this make sense?!

Iv tried applying a thicker coat of buttercream when I crumb coat but it still happens! Can some one help me :)

Iv added an image but it's hard to see because of the stripes!

Thanks :) [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3252487/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 6

if i'm understanding what you mean you can dab on icing like you would dab on make up to fill the gaps-- just smooth it with your finger --

oh do you mean the dowel is holding the tier up too high and leaves a gap? cut shorter dowel --

the stripes on the bottom tier would hold the second tier up higher too and there you would use the border to cover that --

did one of those answer your question? ;)

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 6

ADo you mean the bulge where the layers of each tier meets in the middle jadie? I still get bulges on mine so I'm not much help but I think some people put something flat and heavy on them (like a tile) to prevent it. I try to get each layer as level as I can then press the top layer down quite hard. Don't overfill with buttercream, some people use a stiff dam around the outside to stop any filling oozing out. I'm sure you'll have better advice from people who never get bulges tho. :-)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 6

AI knew I read it somewhere! Couldn't remember who, couldn't remember the thread title and don't know how to add a link! Thank you Leah. :-)

chasingmytail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasingmytail Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 6

Use chocolate granache instead of buttercream.  Buttercream has to be 3:1 when coating which can be incredibly sweet.  Or use the dam technique.  If the filling is too thick it isnt stable enough. In warm weather it can spew out too under the weight.

Instead of slicing into 2 divide into 3 so the buttercream is divided up hence thinner.

Most techniques show a good layer of buttercream or chocolate granache applied around and smoothed with some kind of scraper or plasters knife. Crumb coat first then a good layer. Use dowling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%