Illinois's Cupcake Law

Business By Kellbella Updated 29 Jan 2016 , 4:18pm by rsquared02

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 14

Saw a short story on the news last night about IL allowing home based baking as long as you don't make more than $1,000 per month. It was brought about because a young girl was making cuppies in her home and selling them and a reporter did a story on her and then the HD got wind of it.....thoughts anyone?

13 replies
stinkyhalf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stinkyhalf Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 1:57am
post #2 of 14

So I am from Illinois, spent $35,000 building a summer kitchen to the laws requirements.  Got my food handlers license.  Was only needing my county inspection...  I guess it is what it is...  I am so confused over this and not sure if I need to register with the county anymore let alone get inspected.  

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 3:46am
post #3 of 14

AI'm live in Illinois too! I'm so confused as to what you can and can't do! I didn't see this on the news in the Chicago area! If you get more info please share! Thank you!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 4:06am
post #4 of 14

ANever mind it is true about the new law, it was signed by the Governor 6-11-2014. I looked it up on the web, it is law, the food item must state it is baked in a home! WOW! There is a limit of $1,000.00 per month of items sold.

stinkyhalf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stinkyhalf Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 14

This is great for the new bakers starting out, but the established bakers are upset.  How long did we wait for the Cottage Food Law, and it was crap.  I live close to the area this 12 year old girl lives and this is all we get in the news.  I guess it is what it is and life goes on.  :)  If I read the law correct we don't have to list ingredients anymore.  Just it was baked in a home kitchen.

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 14

Here's lots of good info to read. Be sure to scroll all the way down to see the boatload of things that need to be listed on a label, the types of foods that can be sold and look at the comments section at bottom as well. The law is passed in Illinois, but EACH county must approve it in order to sell in that county. I believe you still need to be registered and have sanitation class.

http://cottagefoods.org/laws/usa/illinois/

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaka1 

Here's lots of good info to read...  http://cottagefoods.org/laws/usa/illinois/

Always check with your local authorities. The above site has a lot of information and is a good place to start. But states have different regulations and within some states it can differ from county-to-county, so there's also some inaccurate info on this site. 

sha1col Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sha1col Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 14

ACook County doesn't honor the law. According to the Environmental Protectiom Services, it's only counties where's there's already an ordinance in place. In Cook County we can only sell from Farmers Markets! : -(. If you're in Cook, sounds like it's time to join forces and get then to change their minds!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by sha1col 

Cook County doesn't honor the law. According to the Environmental Protectiom Services, it's only counties where's there's already an ordinance in place. In Cook County we can only sell from Farmers Markets! : -(. If you're in Cook, sounds like it's time to join forces and get then to change their minds!

and this is true in my county here in tn-- tn allows farmer's market and in a lot of tn counties this covers peeps for doing celebration cake from home -- in my county decorated cake comes under catering with all the full blown commercial accoutrements including commercial real estate--

i see what you mean and when you say 'honor' -- it's actually cook county's choice to use that state law or supercede it--so cook county il and shelby county tn honor their own laws--just like all the states have the option to use the fda food quidelines or use their own-- it's their option -- same with osha regulations-- this is why things get so confusing legally -- like california allows pot and the feds do not so a californian breaks one law by operating legally under another -- who's on first -- kwim

amycupecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycupecakes Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 14

Same in Kane County.  Farmer's Markets and that's IT!

PanacheGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PanacheGanache Posted 11 Jul 2014 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 14

AThe bill was just signed in June so most counties are probably ignoring it. It will be up to people in those counties to get the Board to address it. Cook county is one of the toughest & takes the longest to move on issues like this.

Lyoshka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyoshka Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 14

Bump! 

Anyone have any more updated information on the Home Kitchen Operation amendment? I'm in Kane County and can't find any information on it.  Might have to just call the health department.

ZaytsevaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZaytsevaCakes Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 12:17am
post #13 of 14

I'm in Cook County and it looks like they still haven't create an ordinance to allow home kitchen operations :( Chaking Helth Dep site regularly, still no information.

rsquared02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsquared02 Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 4:18pm
post #14 of 14

I would contact your health department.  My health department said it has to be passed in each county, and ours has not, so does not apply.    

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%