Has Anyone Used Fondarific Or Duff's Fondant To Decorate Sugar Cookies?

Baking By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 14 Jul 2014 , 9:55pm by millicente

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 May 2014 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 11

I'm thinking about trying to decorate sugar cookies with Fondarific or Duff's fondant since I've heard they taste really good and I like the color, but I've never done it before (I've used MMF and Satin Ice with good results).  I was wondering how well this/these brands would work since I know they're a lot softer than SI.  Also, if anyone's used Fond./Duff's, does it dry to a harder finish like most fondants?  Finally, has anyone frozen cookies with Fond./Duff's on them?

Thanks.

10 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 22 May 2014 , 12:27am
post #2 of 11

Never mind.  I did a ton of research online and dug around for my notes from when I used a few different types of fondants in the past and decided to just go with Choco-pan.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 May 2014 , 1:03am
post #3 of 11

I know they look beautiful, but no one here likes the taste of fondant on cookies. 

I made these one time, and I was so proud of how pretty they were.........

Rolled cut out Butter Cookies, Fondant tops, stencils with royal icing

and along with this batch of time consuming Royal Icing stenciled - Satin Ice fondant cut outs, I sent some simple cookies with a quick corn syrup glaze slapped on the cookie and sprinkles for the kids.       Shock of Shocks

No one - child or adult - wanted these snowflake ones because they didn't taste good. However they loved and praised the simple ones. (even the richest people at the party).   Go figure.  So now even when I do a stencil I make a Royal Icing base.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2014 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for your reply, MBalaska.  I'm surprised you had no luck with your fondant-covered cookies.  I've made cookies before with fondant decorations and those who liked fondant enjoyed them.  Of course, those who didn't like fondant weren't too crazy about them.  This was a few years back and I used Satin Ice and just applied them to fresh-out-of-the-oven cookies.  If I was a little late in getting the fondant on the cookie or I didn't trust it to adhere well, I used a little icing or piping gel.

My concern this time around, is that I believe the color of Duff's fondant will work well and would save me the time and effort of coloring white fondant, but since it's made by Fondarific (which I've never used), I've heard it doesn't dry/harden well, so I was worried about using it as a base for cookie decorations (I'd be piping over the fondant with RI.  I did hear that the taste was pretty good, too.

While waiting for a reply I continued to research different brands of fondant online and have finally decided to go with Choco-pan, especially since I just bought a 4-pound bucket about a month ago and didn't use it for its intended purpose.  When I don't use fondant I generally use Toba Garrett's glace.  Over here we like the taste.  ;-)

The Valentine's Day cookies are decorated using glace.  The Anniversary favors and Halloween cookies are fondant-covered.

Made for a Valentine's Father Daughter dance.  Sugar cookies iced with Toba's Glace.

Purchased the scroll design, but was disappointed with the actual color (too orange), the fact that the designs were too close together on the sheet to cut into circles, and they were printed on wafer paper instead of icing sheets. Had to cut the designs around the perimeter of each one for them to look good.  All in all, I like the end result, but they took way too long!

Made for a neighbor.  Sugar cookies covered in Satin Ice fondant.

CakeARTbyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeARTbyBeth Posted 23 May 2014 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 11

These are some sugar cookies I did a couple of years ago for a competition where all of the entry must be cookie and Christmas themed.  The box and ornaments are all sugar cookie covered in Duff fondant and RI decorations.  I love Duff fondant.  I find it easy to work with and the taste is great.  Good luck!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2014 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 11

Beautifully done!  Those look amazing!

So I guess the Duff brand fondant hardens enough when used on cookies then.  Thanks.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:13am
post #7 of 11

The royal icing piping on the layer of fondant is very pretty.  That's really fancy cookie decorating. Well Done CakeARTbyBeth !

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 May 2014 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 11

I use Fondarific on cookies all the time. It works very well. It gets firm enough to package them, but soft enough to be pleasing when eaten. I attach with a glaze made of confectioners' sugar, water, and flavoring to match the cookie. I've never had anyone not like them, but I also don't make a big deal of them being fondant covered, either.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 May 2014 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks, Elcee.

mmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmich Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elcee 

I use Fondarific on cookies all the time. It works very well. It gets firm enough to package them, but soft enough to be pleasing when eaten. I attach with a glaze made of confectioners' sugar, water, and flavoring to match the cookie. I've never had anyone not like them, but I also don't make a big deal of them being fondant covered, either.

That has pretty much been my experience also.  Everyone loves the taste, it's why I use Fondarific/Duff's fondant.  Tastes soooo much better (I'm one that generally doesn't like the taste of fondant).  It doesn't get too hard so it has that icing feel.  I frequently add Royal Icing details.  

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 14 Jul 2014 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 11

I use the black and the red. Other than that  I use my own recipe and everyone loves it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%