Where Are These People Getting These Prices??

Business By BrandyCakes83 Updated 20 Nov 2014 , 9:38pm by smysha

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 5:50pm
post #181 of 201

A[quote name="costumeczar" url="/t/776027/where-are-these-people-getting-these-prices/150#post_7542678"]It's not just clients who are cheap, though. There was a dustup on here recently when a member decided to sell something instead of giving it away. I also get complained to for not handing info over for free. http://www.acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2014/07/stop-complaining-about-cheap-customers.html[/quote]

That's a great post. I've also seen people here recommending getting a student to design your website cheap or for free. The irony nearly killed me.

BomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BomCakes Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 3:05am
post #182 of 201

Hahahha! Love it!

(pinterest hedgehog)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 1:39pm
post #183 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

It's not just clients who are cheap, though. There was a dustup on here recently when a member decided to sell something instead of giving it away.

On numerous occasions people have emailed me, or sent a Facebook message, or from CC they send a PM. Their request is something like: "I'm not in business so I don't need to buy your book. But I would love to have a few of the recipes. Pretty please!"    

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 1:51pm
post #184 of 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

On numerous occasions people have emailed me, or sent a Facebook message, or from CC they send a PM. Their request is something like: "I'm not in business so I don't need to buy your book. But I would love to have a few of the recipes. Pretty please!"    

wow...but it doesn't surprise me either, sadly.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 7:44pm
post #185 of 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Quote:

It's not just clients who are cheap, though. There was a dustup on here recently when a member decided to sell something instead of giving it away.

The best part about buying peoples books & tutorials is to have a hard copy in my hot little hands.  No matter if the power does out, or if the computer dies, or if the whole technology changes and becomes obsolete.  (Beta, Video tape, DVD, Blue Ray, Digital phones  etc.)  There are books on my shelf that go back to the 1960's in decorating.

It's well worth supporting the creator of the concept, recipe and design technique. Like the people on PBS say.......Support the folks.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 10:24pm
post #186 of 201

AIf you're on this thread and new to baking for business, OR, just want to get your operation together I recommend both of Mimi's Books :). It really helped me to get organized in my operation!

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 10:28pm
post #187 of 201

AAgreed! Mimi's books and Kara Buntin's book were both super helpful!

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 11:25pm
post #188 of 201

I have read all 3 Mimi`s books and Kara`s book too and visiting Kara`s blog regularly (helpful blog by the way). I would say they a a must read books for someone who even thinks to open home based  food business. Of course, there are other books and blogs like that but  it is better to listen to someone you know. 

costumeczar Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 12:29am
post #189 of 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natka81 

I have read all 3 Mimi`s books and Kara`s book too and visiting Kara`s blog regularly (helpful blog by the way). I would say they a a must read books for someone who even thinks to open home based  food business. Of course, there are other books and blogs like that but  it is better to listen to someone you know. 

Why, thank you! (I'm Kara.)  I got one person who read my book write to me to tell me that after reading it she decided that she wasn't ready to open a business, so between myself and @MimiFix we'll give you a sad reality check.:-P

Natka81 Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 12:36am
post #190 of 201

Ha, I know you are Kara! I have visited your website  and etsy store many times  before I joined CC. And then I found you on CC and was so happy. I have changed a lot of thing because of those books.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 12:37am
post #191 of 201
costumeczar Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 2:13am
post #192 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natka81 

Ha, I know you are Kara! I have visited your website  and etsy store many times  before I joined CC. And then I found you on CC and was so happy. I have changed a lot of thing because of those books.

I was looking for the like button then realized that there isn't one.

MimiFix Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 2:24am
post #193 of 201
Quote:

I was looking for the like button then realized that there isn't one.

Borrowed three from @shanter

1958070_1550775985140551_5292836613477081067_n.jpg?oh=3de96adfb9ff760c945af770a84fd72f&oe=54EA010B&__gda__=1424610995_6fe8ebdda3b07a1b5d03a4c441eee8ba

Natka81 Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 2:38am
post #194 of 201

I don`t know what haedned to it, I will fix it.

MimiFix Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 11:50am
post #195 of 201

Running a business is hard work. But for me (and maybe @costumeczar, too), I find that writing about running a business is even harder. Thank you ladies, for your kind words. 

vervainangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vervainangel Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 6:09pm
post #196 of 201

I'm a home baker (it's legal in my state!), I have a website that I refer ALL clients too.  It outline all my pricing up front.  Before I even move forward with anyone wanting a cake, I will email a link or hand them my card and tell them to read over my pricing page before we start.  I don't go all through what they want yet, pictures of what they want and then them telling me what they will pay for it.  If they say they have a price budget, I then tell them what they can get for that.  All this before I start on any sketches, etc.  I am firm but polite and professional when telling them to check out my prices before we move forward.  I just don't have anytime to waste.  None of the back and forth emails/texts and in the end they want the cake for cheap.  I don't haggle over prices, it took me awhile but I have priced all my recipes and supplies and time.  It's very important that all cake decorators do this, even the home bakers!  So that there is no room for misunderstandings in what your cakes cost.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 9:31pm
post #197 of 201

A

Original message sent by vervainangel

I'm a home baker (it's legal in my state!), I have a website that I refer ALL clients too.  It outline all my pricing up front.  Before I even move forward with anyone wanting a cake, I will email a link or hand them my card and tell them to read over my pricing page before we start.  I don't go all through what they want yet, pictures of what they want and then them telling me what they will pay for it.  If they say they have a price budget, I then tell them what they can get for that.  All this before I start on any sketches, etc.  I am firm but polite and professional when telling them to check out my prices before we move forward.  I just don't have anytime to waste.  None of the back and forth emails/texts and in the end they want the cake for cheap.  I don't haggle over prices, it took me awhile but I have priced all my recipes and supplies and time.  It's very important that all cake decorators do this, even the home bakers!  So that there is no room for misunderstandings in what your cakes cost.

This is good advice, however you should also give them a cake out of their price range. They may get emotionally attached and pay for it. This is good business/sales tactic.

CBM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBM Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 6:05pm
post #198 of 201

I know where.  From all the low ball places around.  I had someone actually yell at me 'why are your prices so high".  I told her $3.75 per serving for a wedding cake for 170 people with flowers going down the side.  She said a local bakery told her it would $270!!!  Then she continued to try to see if I would negotiate the cake lower if she gave me more business down the road!  When I told her I don't negotiate my price she hung up on me.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 6:51pm
post #199 of 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBM 

Then she continued to try to see if I would negotiate the cake lower if she gave me more business down the road!  When I told her I don't negotiate my price she hung up on me.

"That sounds like a good deal but let's do it this way.  WHEN you send me the business, I will give you a referral credit toward a future purchase!"

(Somehow they always want the discount now IN CASE they send you business later .... instead of the discount later WHEN they actually send you the new business.  Things that make ya go "hmmmmmm......!):roll:

On the negotiating part, when I had someone tell me they found a "really great price" elsewhere, I'd just smile and say, "Wow , that is a good price.  If price is your major concern, you should grab it."  It was always fun for me to see the shock on their face when I didn't fall over on my hands and knees to beg them to take my cake at a lower price rather than see it go to a competitor. 

smysha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smysha Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 9:37pm
post #200 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by natt12321 

There is a lady in my area who has a 'business' and recently announced that she doesn't make a profit, she does it for the love of making cake. She makes 6 decorated cupcakes with fondant flowers, or plaques etc. in a box for £5.75. This woman has a shop and is still selling cupcakes for less than a pound. There is no hope.

WHAT. Sometimes when things are priced in dollars I just trust on everybody else's outrage but when I get them in pounds I KNOW. I saw a woman on Instagram in my area charging a £1.50 for cupcakes with fondant toppers and I scoffed at that. I scoffed hard. Somebody else posted a quid a cupcake earlier. A QUID. And this is less? You get bars of ****ty chocolate that are more expensive. OH GOD. How does she support her shop? Because if she is making a profit I sense magical genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamlovestobake 

Unfortunately it is illegal to record anything without permission. 

Are you sure? It is illegal to publish recorded material without permission but using it as proof isn't publishing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FioreCakes 

$8?! Super impressive! Will you post a free tutorial on how you get your costs so low? kidding, kidding! That is a very impressive price though...I don't buy in bulk yet...so maybe if I ever do I can achieve such a low input! 

@FioreCakes When I first started (not very long ago) I used market stalls to build up a presence in my area. I worked out how much each cake would cost me to the penny in terms of ingredients. So I KNOW my 8" double layer chocolate cake filled and covered with chocolate buttercream costs me £3.53. That's when I learnt my ingredients cost had no relation to how much I needed to charge! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerlocks 

I can't understand why on earth anyone would order a dummy wedding cake and then buy sheet cakes..that probably cost more than just buying one regular (and beautiful) wedding cake!

Oh this is the wanting what you can't afford thing that everyone loves these days. It's similar to the 'can't-afford-it-buy-it-on-credit' mentality which has worked so wonderfully well.

smysha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smysha Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 9:38pm
post #201 of 201

My apologies for the swearing. I am but a humble Irish-born girl. :D But you get my gist :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%