Sturdy Filling For Stacked/carved Cake... Smbc Vs Abc?

Decorating By jennicake Updated 28 Apr 2014 , 11:04pm by jennicake

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a tall stacked/carved cake this weekend, and I'm not really sure what type of frosting would be sturdier to fill with.  The finished dimensions of the cake will be about 8" tall, 11" long and 5" wide... so a bit of an odd shape.  It will also be covered in fondant and travelling in a car for about 3 hours.  I feel like ganache would be the safest choice, but since I'm not charging for the cake I also don't want to spend that much extra on chocolate.

Normally I would prefer to use SMBC because I just like the way it handles better, but now I'm wondering if I should use an all shortening ABC instead, to prevent any possible melting in the car.  

Thoughts?  Opinions?  I would love some suggestions.

(oh and before anyone asks, yes I will be inserting supports and another board before stacking the top half of the cake)

Thanks!!  

4 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 5

ALol..I [B]was[/B] gonna mention the supports too, until I saw your disclaimer. If I were the one transporting it, I'd stick with smbc because it's my favorite. If they were moving it, I'd definitely use ganache. What good is the money saved by using smbc if they stop at a gas station for twenty minutes and let the cake melt? Or drive like bats out of hell? I wouldn't use an American bc in any situation simply because I don't like it, and have only made it a couple times anyways, have no real experience with it other than I know I don't like it, period.

jennicake Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 5

haha!  I knew that would be the first question asked, so I snuck that disclaimer in there :)

Yep, I'll be the one driving it up so I'm fully comfortable knowing that it's in good hands on the way there, car will be driven carefully, heat wont be blasted, etc.  If you think SMBC will hold up ok, then I'll go that route... I also hate ABC (I swear I can taste the cornstarch in the powdered sugar... blech).  3 hours just seems to be a long time in a car so I wasn't sure if all the jiggling would cause a problem.  

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 5

Refrigerate it overnight before travelling, put it in a box straight out of the fridge, and you'll be surprised how long it stays cold in the car.

jennicake Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all the tips!  SMBC and chilled cake travelled very safely :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%