What Are The Types Of Color "dusts"??

Decorating By lemonpoppyseed Updated 23 Apr 2014 , 1:59am by AZCouture

lemonpoppyseed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemonpoppyseed Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 12

Can someone explain the differences between luster, shimmer, and petal dusts?? 

I need to add shimmer to buttercream for piping details on a cake, and another for adding color to fondant/gumpaste flowers.  Obviously, the petal dust is for the flowers, but what about the other two??

11 replies
Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 12

I'm tagging in on this only because I'd love to hear the answer to that question....  Thank you for the piggyback ride.  :)  Hopefully, someone will be able to answer the question.

betija Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
betija Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 12

Luster dust has colour and some shine.

Petal dust has a matte finish and comes in diffrent colours.

Pearl dust just adds sparkle. 

Hope this helps! :)

lemonpoppyseed Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 12

So between luster dust and pearl dust, what kind would work to be mixed into butter cream to give it a bit of a pearly sheen??

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemonpoppyseed 

So between luster dust and pearl dust, what kind would work to be mixed into butter cream to give it a bit of a pearly sheen??

None, it doesn't work that way. You can brush fondant with pearl or luster dusts to give it a shine, and you can airbrush buttercream cakes with it but it won't look the same and it will taste horrible. You can paint detail on cold buttercream with luster dust "paint" made from the shiny dusts and vodka, but you have to work fast and it works on small areas best, not on  the whole cake surface.

lemonpoppyseed Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 12

Darn!  I could have sworn I'd seen cakes with shimmery buttercream piped on...maybe they just took the time to brush it on by hand, but I'm definitely not up for that.  Thanks!!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 12

AYou don't have time to sweep pearl dust over the cake? It takes five minutes, if that. Get a big poofy blush brush, and swirl it on, as long as it's a crusting bc.

lemonpoppyseed Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 12:17am
post #8 of 12

Not a crusting, I'm using swiss meringue.  And they only wanted it on the piped details.  

costumeczar Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 12:39am
post #9 of 12

You can definitely paint it on the piped details, use the vodka paint, make it pretty thick so that you don't have to go over it more than once, and use cold, cold buttercream and a steady hand.

AZCouture Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 12:44am
post #10 of 12

AOh, I'm no help there then. I don't like to "corrupt" my smbc with stuff like that. :D

costumeczar Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 12:53am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Oh, I'm no help there then. I don't like to "corrupt" my smbc with stuff like that. icon_biggrin.gif

I wouldn't mix it in, that would be pointless and make it taste nasty. Painting it on the surface of it is no big deal, that's like painting scrollwork gold or some such stuff like that. Airbrushing the entire surface is much nastier...The taste of the airbrush medium is foul. Painting little details wouldn't be any worse than putting food coloring into the icing, if you think about it. Not that I'd want to eat a pot of food coloring or a pot of luster dust on its own...

AZCouture Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 1:59am
post #12 of 12

AEh, still wouldn't. On fondant, yeah, do it all the time, but it just personally creeps me out to try to paint anything over SMBC. Meh, just a quirk of mine I suppose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%