Full Sheet Cakes Using Jellyroll Pan For 300

Decorating By bunkiesbakery Updated 28 Apr 2014 , 12:28am by bunkiesbakery

bunkiesbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunkiesbakery Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 23

I sure hope I don't annoy anybody with a repetitive question by asking but I have searched this forum high and low and my dilemma is a combo of different posts.  So maybe I am reading too much and getting confused.  I know that a 12x18 2 layer serves 100.

Here is my dilemma:

I'm baking these in jelly roll pans. 12x18

I need to feed 300

So I'm not so sure on the math for these cakes since they are nowhere near 2" deep.

I originally calculated that I would need 6 of these.  I planned on putting 2 12x18 side by side and stacking two more on top.  So I would have a double layer full sheet.

So that means a full sheet cake for presentation and then a half sheet 2 layer for cutting in the back.  Problem is I'm not sure if that is enough since I am using the jelly roll pan?  Does this make sense?

They are for a military ball and they want the logo on one of them. 

I will have the hubby make a plywood to carry these cakes.

I also realize that not everybody will eat cake. 

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions? Thanking you in advance.

22 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 23

first off, i hope you measured your pan because they come in so many different sizes these days--to get 100 servings you'll need three or four layers of cake--whatever it takes to get it 3.5" to 4" tall--then of course, three of those to get to 300--

if you just go with two layers and when finished it's about 2" tall then you'll have about 50 servings there so obviously you'll need 6 of those for 300--

plywood is so unforgivingly heavy--i would suggest using foam core board--the real thick stuff, i think it's about an inch thick or so-- or hot glue two of the skinny ones together--

best baking and caking to you

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 23

You can use bakeable cardboard trays inserted into your 12x18 jellyroll pans.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkiesbakery 

""........Any thoughts/advice/suggestions? Thanking you in advance.""

bunkiesbakery: How did you get roped and tied into making cake for an army of people at a formal Military Ball, when you don't even have a big sheet cake pan?  What happened??

suggestion: beg, borrow, steal or buy a 12" x 18" x 2" sheet pan.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 23

A[quote name="MBalaska" url="/t/773947/full-sheet-cakes-using-jellyroll-pan-for-300#post_7506855"] [B]bunkiesbakery:[/B] How did you get roped and tied into making cake for an army of people at a formal Military Ball, when you don't even have a big sheet cake pan?  What happened??

[I]suggestion:[/I] [B]beg, borrow, steal or buy a 12" x 18" x 2" sheet pan.[/B] [/quote

Yes, God! This is the question. You really need to get the sheet pans. The way you're describing it is going to be ridiculously stressful.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 23

Using a 18 x 12 x 1 jelly roll pan for 300 servings.  Ouch!   You will need 3  4 inch high cakes to serve 300.  Since your jelly roll pan is only 1 inch high, you will need 4 layers for each cake.  3 x4 =12   So you will need to bake 12 18 x 12 x1 inch cakes. Good luck to you.

bunkiesbakery Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 23

My husband is active army and I volunteered the cake. I know I know...a lot of you will disapprove but I just got an order for 200 cupcakes for it and I haven't even made the cake yet.  And the Battalion Commander didn't realize I baked and is now going to use me as his cake decorator.  Sometimes a headache is worth it!  It's the Houston Battalion so therefore a lot of exposure.  I am the only army spouse in the battalion that has a bakery. 

Okay, so I will get some cake pans those size then.  I do cookie decorating as well so I had a lot of those heavy aluminum cookie/jelly roll pans so I thought I would use those instead.  Figured it wouldn't take as long in the oven to bake as a 2 in deep cake pan but I see what you all are saying.

So, since I will now be baking them in half sheet CAKE pans, will 2 double layer full sheet cakes do the job?

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 23

A^^ Hey I'm in Houston too!! I don't actually think you SHOULDNT do the order. I just want you to get the pans lol...for your sake. Not sure about the serving count though

bunkiesbakery Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 23

Woohoo! Hey fellow Houstonian!  But seriously I do see what y'all are saying.. I am DEFINITELY going to get those pans!  I rarely get asked to do sheet cakes so I only have 1 right now.  But if all pans out with the army, then it will probably be a good investment.  They are always having some kind of function, retirement, birthdays, promotions, etc.

Will also check into the foam core as well!

I have also heard about those boards that fit into those pans...that maybe a good idea as well!

MBalaska Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 23

http://cakecentral.com/g/a/59/military-police-fire-dept/

a little Inspiration from the gallery.  Lot's of sheet cakes here.

google 'sheet cake cutting  serving guide' for some help

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 12:15am
post #11 of 23

Good choice to get 2 inch deep pans.   Here is the best cutting guide I have every used.  It works equally well for round, square and rectangular cakes.

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-cut-wedding-cake.html

You might want to make camouflage cup cakes with swirl of army green frosting. 

-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 3:24am
post #12 of 23

a full sheet cake 1-layer serves 98 servings that are  2x2x1.5"  in size

so a 2-layer full sheet will serve 196 serving size of 1x2x4

so you'd need one 2-layer full sheet and one 2-layer half sheet--so they both yield 4" tall servings then you'd cut it all 1x2x4 and have a lovely boatload of beautiful cake--

if you're still doing the plywood (oh my aching arms ;) i'd plop the half sheet on top of the full sheet--stack 'em and dowel in there of course and be done with it--hoping you'll have some serious help to cart it all around--it will be outrageously heavy--but if it was me i'd simply do three two-layer half sheets for ease of handling--for all the stages of production and for ease of serving--

sounds like you have a good thing going--very cool--best baking to you

bunkiesbakery Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 4:05am
post #13 of 23

MBAlaska...thank you for that link! VERY helpful!

Narie, thank you for that cutting guide!

K8 - I have seen some pics of what you are saying, stacking the half on top of the full.  But you are right, aching arms indeed.  All of my help won't be available so I think I will go with your 2nd option and make 3 cakes.  One can have their logo and the other two can be plain and stay in the kitchen.  We are having it at a hotel so the kitchen staff will be available to help in that area.

Thank you all so much for your help!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 4:49am
post #14 of 23

so one more thought for you--no extra charge ;)

the thought of keeping a cake in a hotel kitchen makes me twitch intermittently when i'm not cringing--control is the name of the cake game--in this case 2/3 of your product is at the hands of others--who may put it on top of the stove/oven for a minute to get it out of the way--might put it in the walk in next to the cut onions or under the leaky rusty condensation in there or might put it on a work table free and clear where it might get bumped or be in the way...you get the idea--

me, i would decorate the two others in a triptych fashion--just use the same colors for the borders or slap some scrolls on there or whatever--

but i recommend keeping all your babies together and not abandon any of them--

all your call though--just a thought 

bunkiesbakery Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 5:16am
post #15 of 23

I never thought of that!  Well, I am a huge control freak.  I wonder since the main cake will be put on a table if I could request they keep the other 2 with the cake but withdraw them before the event? Knowing me, I will bring them all an hour early and change into my dress at the hotel.  I was cringing as I read your post!  I will gauge the event directors response when I contact him Friday evening...and also when I get there.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 7:46am
post #16 of 23

AI love making ball cakes, especially love watching the nervous guys getting ready to wheel a big tiered cake around the room. They always need reassurance, it's kinda funny. :D

bunkiesbakery Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 6:03pm
post #17 of 23

AHahahah. Love it! Can't wait to see this in action!

bunkiesbakery Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 5:18pm
post #18 of 23

So I wanted to come back and tell all of you thank you so very much for the much needed advice!  I couldn't find my 12x18 so I went with my 11x15 and ended up making 8 of those.  Made one full sheet cake and then made two separate ones for the kitchen to cut.

I thought it came out great!  There were definitely some things I need to work on. It was my first time doing drop strings and I thought I was going to die...I cursed a lot.  I marked them out but I guess I was concentrating too much and missed some of the marks because they are uneven.

But much to my surprise, the Lieutenant Colonel and Command Sgt. Major called me up to the front, gave me a certificate of appreciation and I got to cut the cake with them!!!! I was so happy!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 5:37pm
post #19 of 23

holy moley--omgosh-- i completely teared up for you--wow wow wow

what a tremendous thing --wow

well add my multiplied congratulations to all those others too--

insert clapping hands smilie face here -- dang, girl -- cake's pretty too

sniff

-K8memphis Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 5:42pm
post #20 of 23

wait--so are you on the right or the left in the photo--oh no --there you are--behind the little nose and teeth in the center--oh well--at least there's mostly great pictures of everything but you lol sucha momentous event --

i couldn't resist teasing you a little

hang that certificate high and proud

bunkiesbakery Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 9:01pm
post #21 of 23

AHahahahah yeah the hubby didn't get around to the front in time to get a better pic!!

Believe me I was pretty emotional! And thank you for the congrats and all of your help! I couldn't have done it without the amazing talent here on cake central! Cakemommy helped me a lot as well!

MBalaska Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 9:03pm
post #22 of 23

Congratulations Bunkiesbakery  that cake is awesome  :D ;-D:USA:  "Army Strong"

bunkiesbakery Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 12:28am
post #23 of 23

AThank you MBAlaska!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%