Help With Wedding Cake

Baking By Trish29 Updated 23 Apr 2014 , 3:42am by Trish29

Trish29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish29 Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 9

AIm a novice at home baker and im doing a tiered cake for a family members wedding. I have done tiered cakes before so im ok with that. The wedding is outside mid july so if will be hot and humid. The only thing the bride wanted was a chocolate cake with strawberry filling. I did a test cake and its terrible. The chocolate cake was great. The filling and buttercream was the bad part. I made indydebs buttercream. I hated it. It tasted artificial. I typically use butter or at least half and half . Would it hold up outside if i did half butter? Would it taste better if i used butter flavored shortening? For the strawberry filling , i am worried about it becoming soggy so i cooked strawberries with some gelatin. Again, i hated it. It was artificial. I tried mixing the bad filling with the bad buttercream (2 layers of that and 1 layer of strawberry for the cake) it was one of the worst things i have ever made. What else can i use that will have more of a fresh taste for a strawberry filling? Can i used just pureed strawberries?

Im not a professional and the bride knows that and doesnt expect me to produce a perfect cake. She probably would have bought a sheet cake from walmart if i didnt do the cake. But i take a lot of pride in what i do and i cant serve an ok cake it has to be good. Sorry for all the questions, but any input would be greatly appreciated

8 replies
cheryl848 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheryl848 Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 9

what about a good quality strawberry jam for filling?

cheryl

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheryl848 

what about a good quality strawberry jam for filling?

cheryl

I vote for this.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 9

AMe too.

Trish29 Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 9

AThats probably what i will try next. I just love fresh flovors.

Any thoughts on a buttercream that will hold up in heat thats not all shortening? I tried it with an off brand. Would that have made it yucky?

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 12:04am
post #6 of 9

I use half and half on my buttercream and it tastes great and holds up pretty good.  I am in Texas which has really hot weather so this is pretty much the only buttercream I can use for our weather.  How hot will it get?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 12:16am
post #7 of 9

Another vote for Smuckers Seedless Jam

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 12:52am
post #8 of 9
Trish29 Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 3:42am
post #9 of 9

AReginaherrin- the weather in michigan is very unpredictable. It could be 100° one day and 50° the next. Last week it was 60 and next day 3 inchesof snow. So im planning for very hot and hoping it will be tolerable for the wedding.

I love to bake so if i can find a couple icings i like i will do test cakes and let them sit outside and see what holds up the best and still tastes good.

Goreti- the strawberry curd sounds delicious! I will try that with fresh fruit. Thanks so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%