How Much To Charge For A Slot Machine Cake

Decorating By janetwhitson Updated 13 May 2014 , 7:33pm by AZCouture

janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 14

I have a client asking for a slot machine cake to serve 30 people. I usually charge $2.50 per serving for my fondant covered cakes but I have no idea what cake sizes to use for it to even figure out how much to charge.  Please help!!!

13 replies
FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 14

Go to the wilton serving cake chart to determine how many servings are in a sheet cake and how many sheet cakes it will take you to carve the slot machine. $2.50 is very cheap for a carved fondant cake...you'll regret not charging more. 

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 14

A[QUOTE]I have no idea what cake sizes to use [/QUOTE]

If you can't figure this out yourself then maybe it's time to take a step back with your business. Would you want to order something from someone who had to post online asking people what to do?

And about $300-$350.

janetwhitson Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 2:45am
post #4 of 14

AWow really @howsweet? Don't we all have to start somewhere? How about being helpful instead? My goodness.

janetwhitson Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 2:48am
post #5 of 14

AAnd no it wouldn't bother me at all ordering from someone who was trying to do the best job that they can. I've only been in business since February and I've had cakes steadily every weekend with repeat customers already. Just because something is new to me doesn't mean I can't do it.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 2:57am
post #6 of 14

janeywhitson-- that's exactly her point, there is nothing wrong with starting, but you shouldnt be charging while you are still in the "starting" phase. These things that you are asking are a give away that you are brand new: 1) knowing how many cakes you will need or 2) figuring the servings in a sheet cake....therefore you may be doing your customer a disservice by leading them to believe you can execute a cake. You'll encounter this here a lot on cake central---....it's like taking your car to a mechanic and finding out they turn to a forum to find out how to fix your car. Often to the decorator its a money making opportunity, you mess it up and its just money, but to these customers---its an event they want to be perfect. I'm not trying to stir the pot---just giving you a head's up on the general consensus of this forum. 

howsweet Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 3:20am
post #7 of 14

A

Original message sent by janetwhitson

Wow really @howsweet? Don't we all have to start somewhere? How about being helpful instead? My goodness.

Yes, really - because the question you asked seemed so basic. That was my attempt at being helpful. I'm really, really not trying to be antagonistic. It seemed to me that if you couldn't figure that out, you might not want to take this order. But maybe what you were thinking was that there was an easier way to do it or some formula? We all wish there were! :-D

Unfortunately, here's the answer, you just have to sit down and figure it out with some rulers and pans and some arithmetic.

Original message sent by janetwhitson

Just because something is new to me doesn't mean I can't do it.

I completely agree - this is the nature of the custom cake business. And sometimes an intangible thing to charge customers for that we forget . With custom 3d cakes, we're charging customers for our ability and determination to do something the first time and still get it right. :-)

howsweet Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 3:23am
post #8 of 14

AThanks, Fiore - those were the lines I was thinking on.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 3:37am
post #9 of 14

The frequent question..how much do I charge for a cake...  has been covered many times on cc...with custom cakes not only is it materials, hydro or gas for baking, running to get product but most of all the hours it will take to make a cake like that.  Pricing for the area comes in as well..  If you are planning to run a business research your costs and what it takes to make a profit before you get more orders.  Is this a hobby or a job?

I have made a choice to avoid cakes like that because in my area  people just are not willing to pay for the time to make a custom cake.  Seriously consider-- are you really willing to work for 1-2 dollars an hour if you add up all your time?  Should I choose to give a gift I am willing to spend loads of time to get something right-- but why should I work for less than min. wage because someone else wants a masterpiece.  Please consider this when you are starting out.  Best of luck.

janetwhitson Posted 10 May 2014 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 14

Here's the completed cake that I made. We ended up going with a flatter version because she didn't want to pay the high cost for the standup version. The customer was 100% satisfied.  I've been decorating for over 9 years and just starting my business doesn't mean that I don't know what I am doing.  I was simply looking for help in case anyone had done a similar cake before and could offer advice.  I'm sorry if stepped on anyone's toes

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 10 May 2014 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 14

The cake came out really nice. Great Job!

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 13 May 2014 , 7:23pm
post #12 of 14

janetwilson, your cake looks great.  You could teach us a thing or two :-D

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 13 May 2014 , 7:28pm
post #13 of 14

Beautiful job on the slot machine cake. A lot of people couldn't make a sheet cake look that good!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 May 2014 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 14

ACake is nice. You didn't step on anyone's toes, but the way you [B]wrote[/B] your question seemed to be a plea for help from someone who wasn't very experienced with pricing at all. Pretty sure it's all the !!! that did it. I don't see any replies that are out of line based on what was asked, and how it was asked. No biggie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%