Opium Poppy Stamens

Decorating By sugarflorist Updated 20 Apr 2014 , 2:00pm by sugarflorist

sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 6

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3223461/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Any suggestions please on how I can achieve this level of detail for this opium poppy seed head and stamen.

5 replies
Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 6

You can either use a mould for the centre or use tweezers to make the marks. then use looped black cotton for the stamens. I wrap it around my fingers in a figure eight then double it over until I get the length I need , then I pop the centre down through the middle of the stamens a little dab of royal or tylose glue will help it stick. 

I hope that is clear it is a little hard to explain.  I like to use a cheaper quality cotton for this and it is a bit softer than a good quality linen thread. 

sugarflorist Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 6

AI have produced a decent seed pod but can't get the stamens right. I have tried cotton and it is too floppy. Also tried gluing groups of stamens around the seed pod but the just stand proud instead of hugging the seed pod despite curling them.

What about starching the cotton? Or using 33 wire?

Mimimakescakes Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 6

Use a bit of shortening on your fingers through the cotton. Sorry I forgot that bit. 

Mimimakescakes Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 6

I use a 33 gauge wire in the middle of the figure eight to secure it then double it up and wrap the wire around the base a bit. 

sugarflorist Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 6

AThanks will try it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%