Really Glad This Wasn't My Disaster

Decorating By 810whitechoc Updated 22 Apr 2014 , 10:14pm by FioreCakes

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 9:17am
post #1 of 19

We were fully booked today, I mean crazy booked and it's Easter Saturday.  We had a lady come in this afternoon in a flap, all decorators were already closed for the weekend or were not answering their phones. She had ordered a two tiered fondant cake with hand made gumpaste figurine "exploding" out of the top, from somebody else.  She didn't know the cake maker just picked her off FB because everybody else was too expensive.  The cake arrived and maggots started coming out of the top of the cake where the figurine was attached.  This is not a joke, I saw the cake, and yes maggots, yes real live wiggly maggots!  She wanted to know what we could do, ummm throw the cake in the bin. She brought the cake along to show me and see if I could make something like it this afternoon for a function tonight (it was 3pm).

The van was already loaded and I was about to leave to deliver a wedding (then race back load up again and deliver another) and as nicely as I could told her I was unable to help her I had to leave NOW. She ended up buying two small round chocolate cakes that we had left in the cake cabinet.

I kinda felt sorry for her because she was supposed to be taking the cake to a function at a restaurant overlooking Sydney Harbour, but I thought:  You get what you pay for. We chatted briefly about not knowing who, where or how food stuffs are being produced if you buy blind off FB and there is a reason if somebody is several hundred dollars cheaper than everybody else.  I hope I have converted somebody over to buying from a licenced baker, but who knows.  I'm counting this as one for our side Yay! (Crossing my fingers and toes and sending good thoughts to the Karma Baking God)

18 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 19

AI just wrote a blog post about stuff like this. Cheaper is not always better!!! Qualified professionals will want to be compensated for their work. What a mess!!! That's the worst I've heard I think

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 19

AEeeeeexcellent. Stories like that warm my cold widdle heart. :D

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 19

AHaha! Mine too! :-D

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 19

Oh that is just disgusting! I don't even know what to say to that! Hopefully she got all of her money back from the original "baker." I can't imagine how I would react if someone gave me a maggot cake. GROSS

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 19

What ? How ?  I'm so confused.  Would maggots get in a cake ?  How long would it have had to sit there ?  That isn't really something that would happen overnight.  I talked with someone who had once gotten a cake from a bakery and when they got it home and cut it there was mold on the bottom.  But I can honestly say this is the first live maggot cake I've ever heard of !  Bless her heart.  I can not imagine.  Disgusting !

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 19

House fly eggs can hatch in a day or two, so if the fly laid the eggs the day the cake was baked, by the time it was delivered they would have been crawling around...

Gross and creepy but possible...

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 19

Browsing cake central while eating lunch---not a good idea apparently! 8-O

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by FioreCakes 

Browsing cake central while eating lunch---not a good idea apparently! 8-O

Haaa haa haa, no kidding, my stomach already feels weird from eating peeps and broken Easter cookies, this thread didn't help.

What did they do, put the cake in a box and forgot about it? Some people SMH:roll:

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 810whitechoc 

""...............I kinda felt sorry for her because she was supposed to be taking the cake to a function at a restaurant overlooking Sydney Harbour, but I thought:  You get what you pay for. .............""

810whitechoc. This disaster is really a happy accident.

she's received your cakes, and what could be better for her than that. 

(reminds me of the movie 'Mystic Pizza'.......your 'left over in the cabinet' cake will be far superior to the other bakers bestest of best cake.)   happy accident for her indeed !!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 19

So gross. It's Pesach (Passover) for me so it's Matzah churning in my stomach! 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 19

AI'm not a professional decorator, just a hobby baker. But have made many cakes for family and friends. I have a extremely clean kitchen & follow strict food safety when baking & decorating. I was absolutely disgusted reading this account...sooooo gross. But 810whitechoc, your absolutely right...you get what you pay for!!! Hopefully after tasting your delicious cakes she purchased...she'll surely be back. I have to say being a retired nurse, I thought I'd heard and seen everything!! But I know from courses in bacteria, you have to introduce some bacterial medium for maggots to grow. Eewwwww.....makes my skin crawl....

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 8:34am
post #13 of 19

The customer did get her money back for the cake. It was actually quite good work, and without the maggots (8O and yes I can't believe I just typed that sentence) it would have been worth a lot more than she paid. 

MBalaska, the cakes she bought were from scratch chocolate fudge with handmade caramel (again from scratch with real butter) and walnuts, so HE double-hockey-sticks Yeah, they were better than the maggot cake even without the maggots!

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 10:51am
post #14 of 19

AI thought maggots only went into meat products - like flesh. What was in that cake? Meat?

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 1:47pm
post #15 of 19

Sounds pretty gross to me!! Yuck!! The thought of maggots turns me off!!!!

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 3:14pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylee61 

I thought maggots only went into meat products - like flesh. What was in that cake? Meat?

I don't really think their choosy..I'm guessing the cake was old, and starting to turn; and they say an opportunity. Its still an awful situation; imagine if she hadn't have noticed and served that to her guests! The poor lady, I would have felt sick; buying what was probably an expensive cake (although cheaper than most, but still probably quite a bit of money), and then seeing these creepy crawlies coming out the top, and knowing you were only hours away from serving that cake to your guests! 

mskerrih Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskerrih Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 3:40pm
post #17 of 19

AWow. I had a cake that was cancelled after it was completed. I sat it on the back porch for two weeks to see what would happen. Nothing grew on it. Lol. My brother and I shot up with a BB gun. Very relaxing ;-)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 5:26pm
post #18 of 19

A

Original message sent by mskerrih

Wow. I had a cake that was cancelled after it was completed. I sat it on the back porch for two weeks to see what would happen. Nothing grew on it. Lol. My brother and I shot up with a BB gun. Very relaxing ;-)

Cool!

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 10:14pm
post #19 of 19

OP--- will she report this "bakery" to the health department? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%