New Wilton Decorator Preferred Fondant

Decorating By acakes215 Updated 26 Mar 2015 , 2:41pm by Michelle46

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 19 May 2014 , 4:34pm
post #31 of 55

That's good to know about the GumTex.  So far I haven't need to use it, but if I do in the future, now I know!  Thanks!

AvaDoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AvaDoodles Posted 19 May 2014 , 5:47pm
post #32 of 55

AYou're welcome, its been a lifesaver! The new fondant definitely takes a bit to get used to but the taste is sooo much better!

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 19 May 2014 , 7:44pm
post #33 of 55

We received our first shipment of "new" fondant a couple of weeks ago.  We opened a box and tasted it.  Tasted better.  Almost like MMF.  I was super hopeful!  Then came time this past weekend to put it through the test.  (We generally do butter cream cakes with fondant accents.)  Let me just say, I will be spending most of my upcoming weeks looking for a different fondant.  Even with tylose (gum tex) it does not act the same.  The product does not set up.  Even cutting a simple ribbon became a chore.  It took me an extra 4-6 hours to complete 10 orders because of all of the stretching and stickiness of this product.  Coloring it is a mess.  I don't even have hot hands!    I am now DREADING the next few weeks of trying new products and wasting a bunch of money that I don't have.  (Not to mention the money that I wasted on a case of this new stuff!)  I am also DREADING trying to make the flowers and bows that I need in the next couple of weeks! I tried searching online for "tips and tricks" and all I found was "add tylose", "add more butter cream under" and "make the fondant thicker".  Bottom line, that just costs more money in the end to adjust for an inferior product.  Two thumbs down in my book. 

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:03pm
post #34 of 55

There another Brand New Fondant out there that is absolutely fabulous - RENSHAW.............check it out...........I've been doing cakes pushing close to 30 yrs & you can keep Satin Ice, all that product ever gave me was headaches & stress, forever cracks, dries out......I am a FondX person & also Fondarific but this new Renshaw is really nice to work with.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:12pm
post #35 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by fondantslinger 

There another Brand New Fondant out there that is absolutely fabulous - RENSHAW.............check it out...........I've been doing cakes pushing close to 30 yrs & you can keep Satin Ice, all that product ever gave me was headaches & stress, forever cracks, dries out......I am a FondX person & also Fondarific but this new Renshaw is really nice to work with.

Can you color it without it turning to the sloppy mess that the new wilton does?  I agree with satin ice.  I can't get past the smell.  Reminds me of "craft dough".  Does Fondx or Fonarific mold and shape well?  Do they handle color?  

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:22pm
post #36 of 55

All of what you asked it does perfectly.   Go to www.BakeDeco.com.  if you have any trouble let me know & I'll give you the rep from the parent company who will give you all the info you need, she's awesome. This product just came about, it was at a show.

sweettia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettia Posted 20 May 2014 , 3:25am
post #37 of 55

AI'm a beginner baker and I've always done buttercream cakes because I was too nervous about trying a fondant. Would you have any suggestions of the best one I should try?

CozyCactus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CozyCactus Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 11:22pm
post #38 of 55

I worked with this stuff the other day and ended up crying!  It was overworked before I finished putting color in it!!  Is there a comparable fondant that's stiff and useful like the old Wilton fondant?  I do a lot of knife work.

JwelrsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JwelrsCakes Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 7:56am
post #39 of 55

A

Original message sent by AvaDoodles

I've made 3 cakes so far with the New Wilton Decorator Preferred Fondant  It tastes WAY better and is easy to roll, however more than half of what I use the old fondant was for fondant figures etc and this fondant does NOT set.  I even cut it 50/50 with Wilton gumpaste and the little pumpkins I made didnt set  at all even after 3 hours!

Does anyone know if adding tylose powder would work? 

Thank you! Amanda

I can't get it to set very well with tylose powder either. I am extremely disappointed. I used the pink and it did fine because it was the non flavored stuff, but the white fondant that is vanilla won't work for anything. I'm switching to SI, Duff's or something different because so much of my business is modeled gumpaste. I prefer to mix fondant with tylose to get the right stiffness I need. I also add a bit of tylose to my fondant to cover the cakes. The new wilton vanilla fondant is sticky as I'll get out.

Every time I turn around, wilton is doing something to disappoint.

I'm saying goodbye to wilton from here on out. The products are turning to crap.

JackiSto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiSto Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 10:50am
post #40 of 55

AThis stuff is way too gloomy to use for pretty much anything but color blending or cutouts... I definitely wouldn't cover a whole cake with it! I have mixed tylose into it and had it set overnight, but being that this is so soft, idk about figurines... you would need a ton of tylose... if you try it, let us know how it works.

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 12:31pm
post #41 of 55

Agreed - the new Wilton fondant is much better than the old. I make my own typically but every now and then I have to get a batch of Wilton to work with and it doesn't have that cardboard taste the old formula had. Good as a backup.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 4:51pm
post #42 of 55

I'm in South Florida and out of necessity I used the new Wilton fondant on my latest cake. I like the improved taste, but I like the old texture better. It is much softer now and stretches very easily. But it smoothed very nicely with no cracking or developing the elephant skin look.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 4:56pm
post #43 of 55

ASo,, everybody has a different opinion lol. Because I didn't have any problems with stretching, tearing, or any of that. I didn't try to color it though so, I can't say anything about that. It's amazing how all experiences can be so different!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 5:01pm
post #44 of 55

Well, I didn't have tearing, I just noticed how much softer it was, which made it easy to stretch. Overall, my experience was good, no real complaints. I have to have the air conditioner on due to the heat and humidity, and it was moist enough to allow me to get it on the cake and smoothed out without tearing. Any time I have problems with over stretching or tearing it is because it is too thin.

morganchampagne Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 5:52pm
post #45 of 55

A

Original message sent by gscout73

Well, I didn't have tearing, I just noticed how much softer it was, which made it easy to stretch. Overall, my experience was good, no real complaints. I have to have the air conditioner on due to the heat and humidity, and it was moist enough to allow me to get it on the cake and smoothed out without tearing. Any time I have problems with over stretching or tearing it is because it is too thin.

Same here

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 9:15pm
post #46 of 55

I used this fondant on the kitchen aid cake in my pictures. I agree, it was soft, but that gave me more time to work with it while covering the cake. When I served the cake two days later the fondant was still soft, which I think may be a perk to people eating the cake. 

SkisandBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkisandBakes Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 3:37am
post #47 of 55

AOh how I wish I had read this before buying the new Wilton fondant. I am a hobby baker who uses fondant a couple of times a year - family b-day cakes only. I really liked the way the old Wilton fondant would harden. Will the new recipe harden in time? I plan on making accent pieces for my son's b-day cake on the Monday and want them hard by the Fri/Sat. What about thin plaques for mounting edible images on top of buttercream on cupcakes? How long would those take to dry? Feedback from other users would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

morganchampagne Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 4:59am
post #48 of 55

AI honestly think they will be ok. Do you have tylose powder? You can add it to be sure

SkisandBakes Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 5:03am
post #49 of 55

AUnfortunately, I don't have any tylose. Would corn starch work/help?

morganchampagne Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 5:07am
post #50 of 55

ANo, that wouldn't. Try putting them in the oven with the pilot light ONLY. Do NOT Turn the oven on!! And put a sticky note or something so you don't forget they are in there lol. That helps the pieces dry

AvaDoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AvaDoodles Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 12:32pm
post #51 of 55

AI'm so sorry to hear everyone is still having trouble, I must say it took a bunch of getting used to but with the Wilton. Gum Tex I haven't had the same issues. The more humidity the more you will need, I hadn't seen it on the shelves for a while and since the New fondant it is back in full force I'm wondering if that is a coincidence?! The new black fondant is the softest but with the gum Tex I'm even able to sculptor this.

Best of luck! Amanda

lanawith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanawith Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 1:10pm
post #52 of 55

AI hate it. I only use it to cover dummies and never real cakes. I find it much drier than the original, so much so that I had to knead in 50% satin ice into it just to get it not to rip.

SkisandBakes Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 2:45pm
post #53 of 55

AThanks for the suggestion morganchampagne.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 8:08pm
post #54 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanawith 

I hate it. I only use it to cover dummies and never real cakes. I find it much drier than the original, so much so that I had to knead in 50% satin ice into it just to get it not to rip.

something must have been wrong with yours, the new wilton fondant is not dry at all. 

Michelle46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle46 Posted 26 Mar 2015 , 2:41pm
post #55 of 55

I hate this new fondant. My cakes look like I'm new to this. I came a long way in 5 years.. It's very disappointing!!!  It's way to soft, it gets a tone of air bubbles. And it rips like crazy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%