Non-Experienced And Need Help With Rosette Cake!!

Decorating By Rachelmg319 Updated 20 Feb 2015 , 5:23am by FutureCakeBoss

Rachelmg319 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachelmg319 Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 14

hi, i'm new to the group and need advice on how to properly make a Rosette cake. I've seen many tutorials and I think its something I can do but I see so many diff recipes for the icing that I dont know which to try. I've also seen alot of people talking about how the roses aren't stiff enough to stay on, etc. I have never made a homemade icing, but I will be glad to try it out. I need the cake for next weekend! My daughter will be 3 and her bday party is Sat. Due to my husband recently being laid off work we are trying to save money of a professional cake. I am making an Easter themed cake as well, but apparently more are going to attend than we figured actually would so I wanted to make a Rosette cake along with the other one.When buying some tips for my "cake decorating" this week, a lady told me instead of trying to make homemade I should just go with a thing of store bought and add powdered sugar. Tried that today and while you could tell what they were suppose to be, they were def not stiff enough and it didnt look too hot. lol. HELP!!!!

13 replies
t4h3r4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4h3r4 Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 14

AHiya Rachel,

By Rosette cake, do you mean like the following?

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3220614/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3220615/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

If so the cake in the first picture was piped with homemade buttercream which was made using 1 part butter to 2 parts icing sugar in weight plus a few tablespoons of milk. The latter was piped with freshly whipped cream that was stabalised using icing sugar.

The roses on both cakes held up fine without any sliding. I even managed to do it with a soft cream cheese frosting. However it's pretty cold where I live and haven't had many cakes out in hot tempretures so can't tell if the roses would be affected by that.

NavigateLife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NavigateLife Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 14

This is a recipe I use for pretty much all my cakes. It can be sort of sweet, but the sugar is needed to maintain the icings consistency. I always either double or triple this recipe, due to the fact that the original one (which i will post below) does not provide enough icing to completely ice a cake (in my opinion). It's 'Class Buttercream Icing by Wilton'

(Stiff Consistency)

1 cup (190 g) solid white vegetable shortening (do not use Crisco, use high ratio shortening found in cake stores. Crisco's quality has become terrible)

1 teaspoon (5 mL) Wilton flavor (Imitation Vanilla, Almond, or Butter) (I recommend to use a tbsp of each one you decide to use.)

7-8 teaspoons (35-40 mL) milk or water (I suggest to use milk and not water. You can also use creme for creamier icing… just make sure to warm it)

1 pound (450 g) pure cane confectioners' sugar (by the bag, it's already 1lb. don't use imperial sugar, its too grainy)

1 tablespoon (15 mL) Wilton Meringue Powder* (this is just an option; however, I do not use it)

Pinch of salt (optional) (if you decide to add salt, add it to the liquid)

In a large bowl, beat shortening, flavor and milk or water. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together. Bend an additional minute or so, until creamy.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups (625 mL).

Happy birthday to your daughter, and good luck…I hope this helps a bit! :D

Rachelmg319 Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 12:23am
post #4 of 14

yes, these are the types of rosettes i was meaning :)  we will be outside for the party but i intend to do it the night before and keep it refrigerated until we are leaving for the location. and what exactly is icing sugar? lol.is it powdered sugar? i'm not familiar with some of the baking terms yet hahaha.

Rachelmg319 Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 12:25am
post #5 of 14

we dont really have a store other than hobby lobby to get things as far as the shortening but is there another at the grocery store i could get? i saw somewhere that real unsalted butter is good but again, not sure lol.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 12:31am
post #6 of 14

AI've done rosettes with whipped cream icing, regular AMBC, and flour icing- they all stayed on the cake no problem! But they were all for indoor parties.

If it's too hot outside you may need a shortening based icing :/

NavigateLife Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 1:12am
post #7 of 14

AThey only sell hi ratio shortening at cake shops I believe. Another alternative you can use is "Bake Rite" at your grocery store near the Crisco section. It has a fried chicken leg in the front, and the container is blue:-) As for the butter, I usually use salted, so therefore I dont add extra salt. You can google which is best and see which you'd prefer to use.

Rachelmg319 Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 1:34am
post #8 of 14

ok, i'm def going to look for the bake rite then because its outdoors and in southeast texas so it may be hot lol. it will be in the eve (5-7) BUT our humidity stinks!! lol. thanks so much for all the suggestions!! :)

NavigateLife Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 1:40am
post #9 of 14

AI know! I'm near San Antonio, but at least we arent in Jamaica or something where the humidity is truly ridiculous ;) You're welcome, good luck!

Rachelmg319 Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 1:43am
post #10 of 14

hahahaha!!! but at least Jamaica has the clear water hahaha. we are fairly close to Galveston and the gulf is like a mudhole!!! our humidity here is 100% every day in the summer but thankfully not there yet! lol.

NavigateLife Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 1:58am
post #11 of 14

AJamaica's water is absolutely beautiful! I was there last summer, with humidity close to 90% and the high was 120-127ish. I'll be going towards your neck of the woods (sorta) this weekend! Hopefully the weather is nice!

Rachelmg319 Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 3:01am
post #12 of 14

i think its suppose to be pretty good (beaumont area). high will be 78, not sure of humidity but i think 20% chance at showers. i'm def gonna be watching the weather all week lol.

t4h3r4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4h3r4 Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 14

AHiya,

Sorry about the late reply. Yes icing sugar is powdered sugar but it's called the former here in the UK.

I hope you have worked out how your going to achieve the rosettes. What piping tip do you plan on using?

FutureCakeBoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FutureCakeBoss Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 5:23am
post #14 of 14

A

Original message sent by JaeRodriguez

I've done rosettes with whipped cream icing, regular AMBC, and flour icing- they all stayed on the cake no problem! But they were all for indoor parties.

If it's too hot outside you may need a shortening based icing :/

How did piping with whipped cream go? It's fairly cold where I live so if I use whipped cream will it hold up? Also I'm planning to do it a day in advance so will it shift? Or will the rosettes be fine?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%