Campervan Cake Carving

Decorating By ameliefrancais Updated 14 Apr 2014 , 7:56pm by ScarletBaker

ameliefrancais Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ameliefrancais Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone,

I am making a cake in the shape of a campervan (not a VW) and need some tips on how to ensure that the cake looks as if it is standing atop wheels. Is there some sort of base that i can use and then cover underneath the main body?

Also I want to create an overhang above the drivers cabin...you know the area where there is usually a bed but know that cake alone would collapse is there any way of supporting this?

Milly

1 reply
ScarletBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ScarletBaker Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 2

AI have done a couple of camper van cakes. To create the space for the wheels I cut a triangular wedge out all around the base of the cake, starting about an inch up from the base going in at right angles and covered with a strip of black paste. Alternatively you can sit your cake on a block of polystyrene covered in paste. Either option gives plenty of room so that the van looks in proportion and that it's sat on wheels.

As for the overhanging cab...eek!, sounds a little scarey!!! Perhaps you could support it with a piece of foam board that is dowelled into the main part of the cake.? Use ganache to cover.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%