Can I Stack A Cake On Top Of Pull-Apart Cupcake Cake?

Decorating By sundaerose Updated 13 Apr 2014 , 11:06pm by sundaerose

sundaerose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundaerose Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 6

I have a request for a graduation cake.  The client would like a graduation cap made out of cake and stacked on top of a pull-apart cupcake cake (50 cupcakes). I am not sure it will be stable enough to place a 6 inch or smaller (I haven't decided what size to make the graduation cap yet) on top of a cupcake cake.  Please let me know how you would go about creating this cake request.  Thank you.

5 replies
Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 6

AIf it was me, I would make sure the 6" was on a board, and sitting perfectly parallel to the board on sturdy supports that were placed between the cupcakes. I would attach the supports with plenty of royal icing or attach from the bottom (underside) of the CC board for stability. I would make the bottom of the 6" cake board right at the height of the CC buttercream. Not at the height of the CC cake portion. I would not trust the CC's to carry the weight all by itself.

cramos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cramos Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 6

I wouldn't do it. Cupcakes just don't have the same strength to hold up a cake as another cake does- especially not a fondant covered one. You could opt instead for making a cake dummy. Although even then I'd worry about the weight. Maybe in some way make it so that the cake is not actually sitting on the cupcakes but the cupcakes are all arranged right around the cap? This way the cap could be sitting on its own board right on the table. It won't look perfect though as you will see the spots where the edges of the cupcakes meet the cap. 

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 6

I would think if you used the SPS system then you would be able to, because the legs fit tightly inside the plate and can stand up by itself (if you have to cut the legs, then make sure they are PERFECTLY level.)  And just to be safe, (I'm assuming all the cupcakes will be on a large cake board for moving?) cut holes in the cake board where the legs will sit, and glue it to the board so the whole stand won't be top heavy and fall over.

sundaerose Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 6

Ok...thank you.  Sounds good.

sundaerose Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 6

Thank all of you for your tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%