For Those Who Own A Bakery And Have Employees

Business By TheItalianBaker Updated 11 Apr 2014 , 10:43pm by -K8memphis

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 15

AHey! So that's my thought: I work as pastry chef in a bakery (I bake, decorate, work with fondant, talk to customers, bring my own recipes..) and they don't pay me enough for everything I do, ($12/h). Sometimes I also go to get supplies myself because they are "too busy".. I buy and use my own tools, molds and everything I might need for fondant (they don't have anything, only 2 molds, seriously). I also work in a restaurant as well, pastry chef but they pay me way better.

At this point I was thinking to start my home based bakery, legally of course, and do it on the side. But I'm worried about my employer, she could fire me as my small business it's a competitor.. I also have to say she is a drama queen..

So for those who have a bakery, what would you feel, think and do if one of your employees made cakes on his own after work? I thought to start "in secret" but not having my phone number and my name on my business card is just weird..

Advices please!

14 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 15

I'm pretty sure the drama queen will fire you if she finds out. This is a conflict of interest. I don't have employees yet, but my cakes are the sole source of income for my household. If I hired someone and found out they were caking on the side, how could I even consider keeping them? Also, they'd probably be undercutting me.

If you're going to run your own business, you should start thinking like a business owner. The last time I didn't think like a business owner, I wound up increasing a competitor's business and she thanked me by copying something I specialize in which mostly no one else does and creating a special web page for it. Now if you google this product her page comes up along with several of mine, then not much else. And she undercuts me.

You'll read on here people talking about having lots of baking friends, and I guess there are ways to do it, but be careful.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 15

So if you do this, be prepared to be fired. Also, if she got it in her head you had stolen customers or undercut her and has the resources she might sue you. She doesn't have to have a valid lawsuit or win to ruin your finances trying to defend yourself and some people are just that mean. At least that's how it is where I live.

TheItalianBaker Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:52am
post #4 of 15

AYeah she is just THAT mean.. She stole $25 of tip a guy left me for a cake, messed up my working hours in the computer.. She giving me such a hard time.. But I can't afford to leave the job now..

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:06am
post #5 of 15

It would be a conflict of interests for sure, so be prepared to either lose your job or live with her making your life even more miserable than she already makes it.  

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:20am
post #6 of 15

Is this the same bakery you wrote about 7 months ago, in September? http://cakecentral.com/t/763893/just-got-hired-in-a-bakery-and-need-to-fix-their-business

TheItalianBaker Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:34am
post #7 of 15
MimiFix Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:46am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheItalianBaker 

I work as pastry chef in a bakery (I bake, decorate, work with fondant, talk to customers, bring my own recipes..) and they don't pay me enough for everything I do, ($12/h). 
At this point I was thinking to start my home based bakery, legally of course, and do it on the side. But I'm worried about my employer, she could fire me as my small business it's a competitor.. I also have to say she is a drama queen..

So for those who have a bakery, what would you feel, think and do if one of your employees made cakes on his own after work? I thought to start "in secret" but not having my phone number and my name on my business card is just weird..

Advices please!

What would I think if I owned a bakery and one of my employees secretly started her own business so she was actually a business competitor with complete daily access to my business? 

And how would I feel if I knew she was blasting me on a cake forum, saying I was a thief and a drama queen?

TheItalianBaker Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:50am
post #9 of 15

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

[SIZE=14px]What would I think if I owned a bakery and one of my employees secretly started her own business so she was actually a business competitor with complete daily access to my business? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]And how would I feel if I knew she was blasting me on a cake forum, saying I was a thief and a drama queen?[/SIZE]

I dont know, do you usually steal money from your employees, make things up and try not to pay back for supplies they bought in your place?

MimiFix Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:53am
post #10 of 15

You asked for advice. I think you're in a toxic situation and would be much happier working for yourself. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 2:06am
post #11 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

You asked for advice. I think you're in a toxic situation and would be much happier working for yourself. 

Uhhhhh, yeah, never mind what just went down in the last couple of comments. You're the employee, and she would be perfectly within her right to fire you right now for this. I would delete this entire thread if I were you. Seriously....protect yourself, get out of that environment, do your own thing and be happy. And delete this.

tsaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsaria Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 2:07am
post #12 of 15

AIf you decide to go into business for yourself, I think you need to quit that job first. Don't wait to see if she fires you. Ideally I think giving it a month or so between your last day there and your first day as your own business would be even better.

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 2:31am
post #13 of 15

I was in a situation VERY similar to yours about a year ago with a bakery that was both morally and financially imbecilic (but I was only getting paid $9 an hour, so count yourself lucky there)

My whole hearted advice to you would be to start on absolutely ALL of the behind the scenes things you would need to actually launch your CFL business (Logo, website, business cards, CFL requirements such as labels etc etc) while still working there, or preferable at another job all together.  Then as soon as you are actually ready to flip the'on switch' for your business, drop that bozo like a bad habit.  Fleshing out your future prospects isn't anything anyone can get angry over, and besides, why even tell them?  Just no actual sales while you are working for the crazy lady.

Working conditions like those are not good for your mental health, believe me.  I wish I had quit many many MANY months before I actually did.

If you can find another job immediately, that would also be a huge plus.

Just GET OUT OF THERE ASAP!

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 8:21pm
post #14 of 15

It'd be more of a conflict of interest if you live in the same area as your employer.

I used to work with a decorator who had her own (legal) side business.  Our manager knew about it, as did all the higher-ups.  There was no mention of firing because the decorator didn't live in the immediate area; ergo, she was never considered a threat.  She gave her notice when she got enough business to make it her primary income.  IIRC it was a couple of years between when we started working together and when she gave notice.

Just something to think about.  If it were me, I wouldn't want to burn all my bridges behind me right now.

I'd start planning right now -- write up your business plan, get all your ducks in a row.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 10:41pm
post #15 of 15

i've done this many times--where i am the employee and i also work from home (actually sometimes from the bakery that employs me) --i am up front with my employer from the get go and it was never a problem--

and honestly it's ridiculously difficult to do both--because it is not just two jobs it's one job on top of the other and it sucks and it's real hard and you won't like it very long--every fricken body wants their dang cake on the weekend--makes me tired, sore & crabby just writing this---

also, most importantly, i have a cake buddy who was fired for running her mouth about her employer on the world wide web on another forum--she really vented loud and long and it got back to them--with the improved searching feature on cc here i definitely agree and encourage you to have all these posts deleted asap

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%