Swiss Meringue Buttercream -Too Sweet????

Baking By rooneygirl Updated 25 Mar 2015 , 11:53pm by LeanneW

rooneygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooneygirl Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I use an egg white - sugar- butter 1- 1.5-2 ratio by weight and I've been told by some it's still too sweet.  I can't believe it but some of my clients compare it to "whipped topping" they like for cakes so they are really looking for something not sweet at all.  I was wondering if anyone has every tried a 1-1-2 ratio where the egg whites and sugar are the same weight ratio and would the emulsion be stable?  Or would you have other suggestions?  Thank you.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Maria @ RooneygirlBakeShop

6 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 7

ATry it. As long as you cook your whites to 160 and follow safe handling guidelines, experiment away, might learn something!

Most people will agree that SMBC is already a "less sweet" icing. If you can't please them with an ABC or an SMBC then they aren't human...lol. Maybe they'd prefer a dark chocolate ganache.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 7

AMy ratio is 1:1:1 and it works fine. Sometimes when I'm making a really large batch, it will come together before I have added all the butter, so I may not use it all.

rooneygirl Posted 13 May 2014 , 3:07am
post #4 of 7

So I adjusted my ratio to 1-1.25-2 (egg white - sugar- butter).  It definitely went through a long curdle stage before coming together smoothly. It was very thick and buttery but tasted ok once I added a bunch of vanilla to it.  Next time I will use a little less butter, maybe drop it to 1.75.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 May 2014 , 9:24am
post #5 of 7

Here's something else you may be interested in trying, heirloom frosting.  You never know it may be just what your looking for.

http://cakecentral.com/t/710940/heirloom-frosting-cooked-flour-frosting-tried-it

rooneygirl Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 7

So some clients still found it too sweet so I adjusted it further to 1 part egg white; 1 part sugar; 1.35 butter and clients seem to love it and don't find it overly sweet - success!  so i do 12 oz each egg white and sugar and 1 lb butter.  

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 7

What? Too Sweet? Thats why meringue buttercreams are so great, they aren't sweet like ABC. I have made IMBC with honey/sugar and also maple syrup/sugar and both were great but still lightly sweet. Have you thought about using coconut sugar, as it is less sweet? It might have a grainy texture as I find it doesn't fully dissolve in my coffee when I use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%