How Many Cupcakes???

Business By Oreo27 Updated 10 Apr 2014 , 5:55pm by thecakewitch

Oreo27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oreo27 Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 13

Hello everyone. How many cupcakes would you make for a "Ladies Night Out" shopping event? They are quoting me between 225 to 400 people. Only 225 RSVP'd but they have gotten up to 400 people in past years. This is being held in a hotel, and there is a runway fashion show, jewelry vendors, ect. I am required to give out samples, so will be doing so. Any opinions welcome.

12 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 13

For this "shopping event" you're selling or donating ?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 13

I personally wouldn't do more than 200.  But are these freebies?  Cause if they're all freebies, I'd be doing minis.

Oreo27 Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 13

No, I will be selling them, but we are required to give out samples as well. I had read on this forum that someone at a wedding showcase gave out samples in "little plastic containers that she had pre-cut at home", so that is what I will be doing. I want to be free to talk with people and make sales, not be slicing up cake. I just found out I am at the entrance of the event, which I am not sure is the best place to be geographically. I am selling 3 flavors, but only one of those will be available for sample. To quote someone else on this forum..."It's not an ice cream parlor." Very wise decision.  We can all learn from each other, and in all honesty, ingredients if you are making quality goods are expensive. So far, there is only one other vendor selling cake, but she will be slicing up layer cakes, and I'll be doing the cupcakes. We have different flavors and styles, so I think that is good.

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 13

AI've never heard of 'Ladies Night Out' before. What are the other vendors selling? I would also do about 200 and package them into twos or fours. Then again, I don't know your market.

Oreo27 Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 13

They are selling clothes, high end jewelry,ect. all kinds of girlie things. It is taking place at a Double Tree hotel in their ballroom.

2heart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2heart Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 13

AI would do mini cupcakes for the samples. See if you can find individual containers as customers are more apt to buy singles over packs. Have containers on hand for 2 to 6 just incase. That's how I do.

Number2daughter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Number2daughter Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 13

I have been done several "ladies night out" events and from my experience I would tell you to be "conservative" in the number you take to sell. It may be a different economic feeling in your corner of the world but where I am, the ladies who came out just wanted a "browse and talk with the girlfriends" kind of time-they did not want to spend money,-especially on cupcakes after walking by the booth next to mine that was selling weight loss/get fit products. Can you say "guilt trip"? Or they thought it was going to be someplace to find bargains. I actually had on event planner chide me on my price-"the girls are saying they don't want to spend $1.50 for a cupcake. That's just too high". GRRRR.

Now, a small mini-cupcake given as a sample -well that's another story-they will gobble those up-" Oh, just this one little ole' cupcake can't hurt,right?" as they walk away stuffing their mouths and laughing with the girlfriends! And that may be ok,if it makes them paying customers in the future. 

The other thing I have learned is that the event planners all seem to talk up the number they say will attend.Whether it's to convince you to come ("It will be soooooo great for your business!") or their own wishful hopes that their event will be successful, the number that actually attended was much lower than anticipated. I went home with a lot of leftovers. Again, it may be different where you are and it will be a great turnout (take a serous look at the advertising done for it-was it top-notch and effective?  Will there be signs posted directing traffic to it?)

After doing these kind of events as well as bridal shows, I truly understand that it is the "networking" you will do that may be your biggest profit. Best wishes for a great show!

Oreo27 Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 13

Gee Whiz. I hear what you're saying. I'll post what happened and how the turnout was after tomorrow night. I am in a very well to do area, Westchester County, New York.  Unfortunately, they are all on diets as well. Gluten free, sugar free, that whole deal, and I have had problems selling in the past because of that demographic. I am going to do the best I can and just use it as another learning experience. While I have been baking for years, doing events like this is something new to me, but I learn a ton each time. I think I am going to heed your warning, and maybe do 170. Number2daughter, what state were your events for "ladies night out"  if I might ask?

MimiFix Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo27 

I am in a very well to do area, Westchester County, New York.

Do you have a retail store? If so, do you give out samples?

Oreo27 Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 13

I'll be giving out samples tomorrow night at the event. I don't have a storefront yet. Just online ordering and word of mouth.

MimiFix Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oreo27 

I'll be giving out samples tomorrow night at the event. I don't have a storefront yet. Just online ordering and word of mouth.

Did you know that NY has a cottage food law and you can get a Home Processor permit? 

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 5:55pm
post #13 of 13

ACan I just add that you have to think of what you want to get out of this event. If its getting new customers, meeting the other vendors, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%