Business By es329 Updated 19 May 2014 , 10:44pm by daisybee

Sammy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy09 Posted 16 May 2014 , 3:08am
post #31 of 40

ATrue.

shanienee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanienee Posted 16 May 2014 , 3:08am
post #32 of 40

I am famous for sending people to all recipes. My recipes are my secrets being as I tweak everything and really don't measure.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 16 May 2014 , 3:13am
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

That's interesting. And very nice. How do you go about this? 

Usually, I buy a NEW cake recipe book off of Amazon. I have a bunch on my Kindle.  I won't buy a used copy because the author will not get royalties.  That's the only way I know of to purchase a good recipe.  Some of the recipes in the books are fabulous, others are very typical.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 May 2014 , 2:44pm
post #34 of 40
 Originally Posted by Norasmom 

Usually, I buy a NEW cake recipe book off of Amazon. I have a bunch on my Kindle.  I won't buy a used copy because the author will not get royalties...  

That's quite thoughtful, Norasmom. Most people don't think about how buying a used book impacts an author.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 17 May 2014 , 2:42am
post #35 of 40

I used to be in the publishing industry, I like to support authors!  Many people don't know what goes into writing and publishing a book, but I do.

Nowadays I buy almost everything on my Kindle, but many of the recipe books are still only hard copy, so those are new.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 17 May 2014 , 8:39pm
post #36 of 40

I have had people ask me if I share recipes.  My response is, "It isn't the recipe, it's the technique".  Had one person lead a group to me for my pie crust recipe.  I told them what recipe book that it was from and added, "I think what makes it so good is the $1,300.00 press that I use to make them!"  Not one more question!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 May 2014 , 11:39pm
post #37 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKing12 

I have had people ask me if I share recipes.  My response is, "It isn't the recipe, it's the technique".  Had one person lead a group to me for my pie crust recipe.  I told them what recipe book that it was from and added, "I think what makes it so good is the $1,300.00 press that I use to make them!"  Not one more question!

LKing12 your pie press got my interest going.  Had to look for them on the internet. Wow, is that an amazing piece of equipment.  I'd love to have one. Making dough is easy with a Cuisinart, but rolling and forming in the pan is a pain.

And you're right, the equipment and techniques that one invests in, makes things better, and people cannot duplicate the results without it.

justdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdesserts Posted 19 May 2014 , 12:26am
post #38 of 40

I have never heard of a pie crust press either! Wow, that would be so great - rolling out pie crusts take a lot of my time that could be spent doing other things. I want one now....

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 19 May 2014 , 12:36am
post #39 of 40

I gave away a brownie recipe once. ONCE! The person I gave it to turned around and sold the brownies for a profit. I thought to myself, Gee its not like I couldn't use some extra cash kicking around!" 

Never again! If it's a baking recipe I simply say, "I'm sorry, I don' share my recipes." 

daisybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisybee Posted 19 May 2014 , 10:44pm
post #40 of 40

AI don't shaker them and never will!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%