Custard And Buttercream??

Decorating By WhimsyCakes Updated 10 Apr 2014 , 5:24pm by WhimsyCakes

WhimsyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhimsyCakes Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 5

Just seeking advice. If you were adding a vanilla custard in between the layers of a vanilla cake, would you then also add buttercream?? When I add a raspberry filling, for instance, I DO add the buttercream on top of the raspberry, then layer and repeat.  What about custard?? don't want to overpower the cake but don't want it to be lacking buttercream either!  Help!!

4 replies
Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 5

I don't, no. I don't add anything in addition to my filling of choice.  Custard/curd/jam OR buttercream.  

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 5

AWith fillings that can seep into the cake--like custard, jam, or preserves--I butter the layers with buttercream. It's not enough to taste, just a barrier.

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 3:34am
post #4 of 5

I make a cord with buttercream all around the edge of the cake and inside the custard (or jam, or whatever u like!)

WhimsyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhimsyCakes Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for the tips!!   I did decide to do as maybenot suggested and lightly spread a thin layer of buttercream before adding the custard. I sampled the cake scraps and thought it was delicious!!!

Thanks again!! I can always rely on CC subscribers to help me out of a jam!! lol no pun intended!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%