Silk Flowers In Cake?!

Decorating By chocaholikk Updated 23 Apr 2014 , 8:58pm by chocaholikk

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 1:26am
post #1 of 9

AHi everyone. I have been asked if I could make a cake similar to the one in the picture except round and with silk. My question is, how do I put the flowers on the cake?? it will be a chocolate cake covered in white fondant. help please!! [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3199383/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Thank you all xx

8 replies
chocaholikk Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 1:26am
post #2 of 9

ASilk flowers**

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 1:29am
post #3 of 9

AYou can use the flower picks that are used for real flowers. They're sold in the cake section at michaels, joann, etc. made by wilton. Or you can put them inside a bubble tea straw. Plug the end with a bit of fondant or chocolate.

chocaholikk Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 9:24am
post #4 of 9

AI dont understand..sorry I havent done this before

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 9

You can't (or rather shouldn't) insert anything that isn't sanitary into a cake.  Flower picks are little plastic cone things (which can be cleaned) into which your in-edible decorations are inserted.  You then put the flower pick into the cake.  I've never used bubble tea straws (haven't seen many of them in the UK yet) but they works on the same principle - essentially you are putting a clean protective barrier between stuff which is inedible and the cake.  I think hobbycraft have them but if not, depending on where you live in Manchester, there is a superb ********** shop in Prestwich called Sparkling Sugar.  They are guaranteed to have them.

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 9

not sure why 'sugar craft' got starred out there...

chocaholikk Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 9

AOh thank u so much! I always buy supplies from there! Ive never biught from anywhere else hehe thanks so much xx

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocaholikk 

Oh thank u so much! I always buy supplies from there! Ive never biught from anywhere else hehe
thanks so much xx

Yuu're welcome!  It's an awesome place!!  I went to Uni up there but sadly I now live further south and am yet to find a new supplier around here which comes close to that shop :-(  Have fun x

chocaholikk Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 9

AHere's how it turned out...I was pretty impressed with myself as It was thr first flower cake I made. Some things could have been better but I was happy n so was the recipient! Happy Days!

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3225015/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%